HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Huntin Ohio Yotes (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/170365-huntin-ohio-yotes.html)

jake smith09 12-15-2006 10:50 AM

Huntin Ohio Yotes

I live in ohio and i have a few places to hunt some yotes 1 place is by a woods that intersects with 2 fields divided by a fenceline. the 2nd place is by a fairly large woods that has4 fields and a briar patch. Another is at my uncles and he has a wheat field and he says he sees and hears them about every night right after dark. Any suggestions on which ones to hunt and what to use? Thanks in advance!

jake smith09 12-22-2006 06:00 PM

RE: Huntin Ohio Yotes

lol any suggestions?

jake smith09 12-24-2006 02:59 PM

???????????

TreeDreamer 12-24-2006 03:35 PM

jake, my advice is to get yourself some foothold traps and then you can cover all those spots 24hrs a day. Thats just me though. I live about 8 miles from Ohio, In southwestern Pa, we have some coyotes but not a whole lot. I tried hunting them with my predator call and did succesfully call them in but..........the rest of them wised up really quick and it is almost impossible to get a response out of them. The footholds are just about the only way I can keep those fawn killing (I dont want to get banned from this forum) K9's out of our deer hunting territory. So far I have caught 6 in the last 2 yrs and it seems like they are just getting harder to come by. but, we did see alot of fawns again while we were groundhog hunting last year. I like to think that thinning them out has contributed to that.

jake smith09 12-27-2006 02:35 PM

Getting traps has nothing to do with hunting them lol. I was wondering what kinds of things work well for coyotes in ohio. They are different in different places. Calls, Baits ( are they legal), any tips/tricks?

Jrbhunter 12-27-2006 05:43 PM

Trythe Midwest Predator Hunters forumsfor more information about calling coyotes in Ohio. There are several knowledgable members from the Buckeye state there, and other regions similar to the ground you're hunting. Read the archives, many of those questions have been discussed recently. Good luck!

jake smith09 12-27-2006 09:53 PM

thanks JRB

crimedog 12-28-2006 08:11 PM

To start you need tohowl.

jake smith09 01-03-2007 08:02 PM

When do coyotes start mating around the Ohio region???? Thanks for all input!!!!!!!!!

Jrbhunter 01-03-2007 08:39 PM

ORIGINAL: crimedog

To start you need tohowl.

I would suggest learning when, where, why to howl first. Then consider doing it. Howling can be very effective but understanding the tactic is important.

The mating season in the Midwest will begin trickling in very soon... within two weeks... and will last through mid-February.