Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Bowhunting for beaver?

Old 12-08-2006, 01:45 PM
Spike

Default Bowhunting for beaver?

We live in a subdivision and a beaver (beavers?) have put up a dam on a creek that runs through our property.

I was thinking maybe I could bowhunt those SOB's? I can't trap them, too many kids live around and might get hurt.

From a hunting point of view, what things should I consider? Time of day, tree stand, bait etc. Never done beaver hunting before. Any help is appreciated!!!
Old 12-08-2006, 02:08 PM

Default RE: Bowhunting for beaver?

Shooting them with a .22 or a shotgun would be your best bet. You will never find them still for any length of time so bowhunting isn't the greatest idea. If you want to skin and sell them then also bowhunting is out because if the beaver does not die quickly they will go down and either grab onto something or wedge themselves in sunken brush to prevent them from surfacing. I would open up one of the dams a little bit to get some water flowing and sit there and wait for them to come and fix the hole. Or esle walk along the water edges in the evenings.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:39 AM
Spike

Hiawatha, thanks! We live in a major city, so shooting with a firearm is out of question. I might give the bow and arrow a try.
Old 12-09-2006, 08:46 AM

I enjoy sticking beavers with my shaft. Nothing gets the blood flowing better.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:09 AM

If thats wat your limited to then yes, but your probably going to havea hard time finding them, not sure if thats a concern or not. I wouldn't recomend a stand cause them lil babies chew trees down right! They are actually a very tough animal and will not die without one heck of a fight even when it seems to be nerves. I had a big ol girl a few years ago i took out with the .22 and she was doing her death spin on the water and i grabbed her by the tail to pull her into the bank. Well it was all i could do to keep her from pulling me into the river, threw her up on the bank and finished her off with the blunt end of an axe. Was a very weird experience and i was extremely lucky i was never bit.
Old 12-09-2006, 09:25 AM
Fork Horn

maybe try bowfishing equipment then you would be able to retrieve them just a thought
Old 12-09-2006, 11:21 AM

ORIGINAL: jsb57

maybe try bowfishing equipment then you would be able to retrieve them just a thought
lol i have joked about that idea b4 but really a 40 lb beaver would make quick work of a bowfishing setup. They go on land and water when hit would just be a tangled mess and prolly rip the mount right off of the bow.
Old 12-10-2006, 07:10 AM
Typical Buck

They get some pretty darn big carp when they're bowfishing I think it's wortha try.
Old 05-12-2012, 02:13 PM
Spike

I have a beaver problem in my pond and I need to get rid of him. I there any special lures or attractants that I can use to get em to come to me? Also when is the best time of day. Early morning, disk, night? Any help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 05-12-2012, 05:28 PM
Inactive

First off, what are ou going to use to get them ?? Rifle, shotgun or going to try a bow ? If they have a dam set up, go in in the afternoon ( 2:00 pm or so ) anhd trear out a small portion of the dam. Enough to get the water flowing pretty good. About ^ or 7:00 pm, go out and quietly appraoch about 15b or 20 ft aboe the dam, and wait. They should be in there just before dusk to repaire the dam. I dont know of any attractants that you could use, mind you I'm not a trapper, but have extensive experience in ridding creeks and culverts of beaver. GL and patience pays off.

Quick Reply: Bowhunting for beaver?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.