Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting Ohio

Old 12-07-2006, 07:08 PM

Default Coyote hunting Ohio

I live in ohio and i was wondering if anyone has ever hunted ohio or does hunt ohio and i was wondering what worked best to call them in. Something else i was also wondering is what the effective range for coyotes a .223 would be? 200 or less? Thanks for all input

Old 12-07-2006, 07:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Coyote hunting Ohio

If you can hit what you are aiming at, the .223 is effective on coyotes at more than double that.
Old 12-07-2006, 07:51 PM

the longest shot i would mostly be taking on anything here in ohio would be 400 yards most of the time.... what kind of scope whould be recommended? Do you think a Mueller 8.5-25X50 would be ok or to much?
Old 12-07-2006, 08:08 PM
Giant Nontypical

I use just a regular 3-9x40mm. At night, I use the 3x.Anything more powerful than that, and locating your target becomes slower and more difficult. During the day, I use the lower power in brushy areas where the action is in close, and crank the zoom up to 9x in more open country. I've never felt at any kind of disadvantage with that set up. However, if you are not hunting at night, you can use a more powerful scope.

If you've already got the scope, then by all means use it. But it doesn't take a large varmint scope to hunt coyotes. Nearly any decent set of optics will work.