Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal? >

What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal?

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal?

Old 12-02-2006, 03:32 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal?

Does it break the bone or just hold it? Im curious because Im afraid of neighbors dogs getting in the traps. I always thought that it was strong enough to break the leg when the trap snapped.
Old 12-02-2006, 04:44 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal?

It won't/shouldn't break the leg. If you use the leg trap, be sure to check them every 24 hours!
Old 12-02-2006, 08:15 PM
Typical Buck

It could break the neighbors dogs legifit its like a small weener dog and your using a #3 trap for catching coyotes.but just be careful and like howler said....check the traps EVERY DAY

good luck
Old 12-03-2006, 12:54 PM

In my state most if not all of the counties havea leash law unless the dogs are used for hunting. Therefore, if you tell the neighbors you are setting traps they should (if not already) keep there dogs away if the care about the safety and well being of them.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:35 AM
Fork Horn

Your local trapping association or other public representation group will ask you to refer to the trap as a FOOT HOLD, primarily because clueless people think a "leghold"will snap legs off.

I use a #3 Bridger with #4 springs all the way around it... very few traps on the market are that strong. I caught one of my 7 week old beagle pups while testing traps at the house. No broken bone, no pain after a day of limping.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:27 PM

I forgot to add that if you are really overly concerned you could use a trap with offset jaws or soft catch traps.
Old 12-04-2006, 01:43 PM
Boone & Crockett

Depends on what you are after. For coons I use a number 1 double long spring or very well broken in #1.5 coil spring. Either one should catch a dog low on the paw with no damage. For land sets for fox or coyote, I use a 1.75 or #2 coil spring. Never caught a dog in them, but they didn't do much damage to grey foxes or coyotes. I wouldn't use a number 3 in a landset, but that's just me.
Old 12-04-2006, 03:24 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well, from what I've read, I need #2 traps, I think. We used to have a bunch of FOOTHOLDS but we gave them all to my uncle. Im pretty sure I can get them back, but I dont know what they are though.
Old 12-04-2006, 04:56 PM
Fork Horn

Each trapper has his own opinions on the subject, but I prefer a #3 for coyotes. There is nothing wrong with a #2, I just like the wider kill area on the #3.

Couche's statement about the #3's on land makes little sense to me because the spring pressures aresimilar between the various sizes.The only difference would be the depth of the catch- you're more likely to have him standing there caught by the ankle instead of the toes.

My traps are different because I have modified them greatly... but I have modified #2 Bridgers in the same fashion and there is no difference in strength/speed/durability. Only the width of kill area when the trap is set.

The only thing worse than catching a dog is smashing his toes real good or having him take the trap home. The responsibility involved with trapping is very high, take it seriously no matter what target or non-target animals you're catching.

Here is a story from my trapline last year, pics included, of a situation I encountered with a domestic dog. Hopefully this helps;
http://midwestpredator.groupee.net/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/3371088811/m/8011027031
Old 12-04-2006, 05:34 PM
Boone & Crockett

I've only used straight from the factory unmodified traps. I'm no daniel boone, but the higher on the leg the trap catches, the more likely you are to get a break, and hence chewed off toes (at least on a coon) or a twist off unless your swivels work to perfection. And I ran beagles for years and would hate to see what a number 3 coil spring (unmodified) would do to ones leg. if that's not a concern, then a #3 would be great for coyotes, but I would still prefer a #2 for fox or a set where you might catch a fox or a coon.

Quick Reply: What do leg traps do to the legs of the animal?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.