Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyotes in Oklahoma

Old 11-30-2006, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

Default Coyotes in Oklahoma

While deer hunting a couple of weeks ago I watched a pack of 10-15 coyotes running out of the creek heading South, and 1 single hog walking slowly to the North. I thought I was going to get a show, but the yotes just kept on their way paying no mind to the hog.

My family is big into coyote hunting using greyhounds. We usually average around 150 coyotes a year and this year I expect us to go well past that number. It seems every morning we are out we get at least 5, and by 9 o'clock the dogs are so tired we can hunt anymore.

Anyone else noticing a rise in the coyote population?
Old 12-01-2006, 02:30 PM

Default RE: Coyotes in Oklahoma

In some places of western OK there seem to be lots of coyotes, in other places just a few. At our place in Garvin county they are getting scarce due to several of us blasting their butts at every chance.I have a friend from Wyoming who hunts them with Russian Wolf hounds.It is really fun to watch them work.
Old 12-01-2006, 06:29 PM

The coyote population has risen greatly in Custer county where I'm from. I would assume that it's due to increased rabbit and rodent numbers. Mygrandparents raise show lambs and have been having problems recently with 'yotes. They had gov't hunters come in and fly a plane to thin them out. Think they got 19 in about a 2 sqaure mile radius in about an hour of flying.
Old 12-04-2006, 11:55 AM
Fork Horn

Two square miles is VERY tight for 19 coyotes to inhabit.... at once... and be killed. You've got to figure they didn't kill several of them, so you're looking at a coyote for every 30 acres or so. Hard to believe- definate catastrophic levels that require serious attention.

I've got a rifle and a little calling ability... anybody in OK have coyote populations like that and a couch to sleep on?!?!?!
Old 12-15-2006, 07:47 AM

yeah here in Ohio their population has exploded
Old 06-28-2009, 06:36 AM

I am extreme sw oklahoma and here there are a lot of coyotes, hope for even more this year. we hunted last year up to april. and averaged around 3 per day per hunter.
Old 06-28-2009, 06:39 AM

IT is fun to watch, I hunt with greyhounds one of my females just had a litter of pups, cant wait till the big enough to go out the big boys for the fist time. I like to hunt with guns but not coyotes, nothing more exciting than seeing 5 or 6 greyhounds catching a coyote
Old 06-29-2009, 09:25 PM
Nontypical Buck

Coyote population has exploded in Southern Califoirnia also...they are just all over the place this year.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:48 AM

Does anyone hunt wild pigs with greyhounds, I have some greyhound pups, and I have had a guy call me wanting to buy two of my pups says he hunt wild pigs with them, The wild hog will rip a greyhound to pieces, if they get to it before the Pitt Bull does,
Old 07-01-2009, 10:13 PM
Spike

The population is high here, you see them dead on the road frequently

Quick Reply: Coyotes in Oklahoma

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.