Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

First Year Coyote

Old 11-14-2006, 03:06 PM
Typical Buck

Default First Year Coyote

This will be my first year tryin to kill some of these suckers i got a nice lever action 45-70 with a scope will that work? Also wut are the best calls to get? Thanks for the help.

P.s. I live in Indiana so if anyone lives here and know some tricks of the trade for these hoosier dogs that would help to.
Old 11-14-2006, 11:18 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: First Year Coyote

the 45-70 will definitly kill them there are a lot of good calls i would start with a couple videos and watch them and that will get you started on how to call
Old 11-20-2006, 07:59 PM
Typical Buck

well i would recommend a sqeez call there easy and succsefull and if its not illegel you can try a tape
Old 12-15-2006, 10:36 AM

I would reccomend a cottontail distressmouth call. Easy to use and VERRY VERRY effective.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Also wut are the best calls to get?
There is no such thing as a BEST call. My favorite most producing call probably isn't the BEST for someone else. There are hundreds of open reed and enclosed reed calls on the market and most everyone one of them will work to call predators, IF the user puts the right emotion into the call.
If you've no idea what sounds you're needing to mimic to call predators, I'd also suggest buying a calling video, or two, and watch and listen to how it's done, then go from there.
I'd suggest starting with enlcosed reed calls, as there are simple but effective.
your elephant gun will do fine. I'd take a wild guess and say if and when you connect on a coyote, it'll be DRT!
Old 12-16-2006, 01:38 PM

This is my first year too, i have talked to a guy and he said wind direction is themost important thing in hunting coyote, also a open reed is oneof the best once you master that you can do about anything. Closed reeds a not bad but they will freeze up under cold conditions. Any gun will work i like a .243 cause of how fast the bullet travels. GOOD LUCK
Old 12-16-2006, 02:02 PM
Spike

I live outside of West Lafayette, IN I have been hunting coyotes for about 6 years, the most success that I have had, has beenwith bait. Whenever I see a dead deer on the side of the road, if it is not to disgusting, I take it and put it in a field by the woods that I hunt. Then hunt down wind from it the next mourning. I use a Savage 22-250, with Hornady bullets, talk about fast shooting gun.

I have also used a rabbit in distress, closed reed, call when I sit in fence rows. It works goodalso but more challenging. If you have the money you can buy the Fox Pro electronic call. My buddy has one and it is unbelievable how good it works. Cost too much for me right now.
Old 12-16-2006, 09:27 PM

Ya them digital call's are really high, i have looked at a few and choose to just practice and get good at using my open reed call.