Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon's how to trap em

Old 11-03-2006, 07:03 AM
Typical Buck

Default Coon's how to trap em

I run several deer feeders and the coons are raping em and giving the electric motors hell. well, I have had enough so I bought a cage trap to get em. What type of baits can I use to get them. The first night I put the trap about 50 yds from my feeder with a can of mustard sardines (.79 cents) and caught a coon. I shot it and tossed it out. reset the trap in another direction and took 2 nights and caught a possum. moved the trap towards another feeder still using the sardines and caught another possum. my little girls calls em big rats, LOL. I am looking for something cheeper than the sardines to use as that can get expensive on bait. I see all types of scent type lures from liqurish ? spelling, to gland lures. Any one can offer some help I would appreciate it. I also thought of buying a steel jaw trap (#2 duke) to catch a few more.

Will the coons stay away from my trap when it gets bloody from me dispatching em?

thanks
Old 11-03-2006, 07:55 AM

Default RE: Coon's how to trap em

It may be hard to compete with the corn. A friend of mine used honey buns to catch a few coons. You could use half of one and eat/keep the other half for later. I have used some of the commercial lures with good sucess and it won't take much a little dab will do ya! You could use #2 and use dirthole sets, but run the risk of catching most anything in the traps; releasing something from a box trap is much easier. Finally, it would be a wise idea to wash your traps after each time you catch a coon. If you could stop the feeders for awhile and bait the traps with corn you would really load up on the coons.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:06 AM
Nontypical Buck

Plain old marshmellow. Sweet and they are eye appeal being white.
Old 11-03-2006, 08:54 AM
Fork Horn

never done it but i have heard that marshmellows work well i also believe in the eye appeal thing when i used to trap i wraped the pans in tin foil it was killer on coons if they can see it they will go for it curiosity killed the cat you could say also they love cheetos the puff ones the best i know a few people that have had pet ones and they go crazy for them
Old 11-03-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

had a pet coon last year. He loved manderine oranges, cat food, and strawberry jelly. I trap the river and use fish oil and that gets umm real good.
Old 11-03-2006, 09:41 AM
Dominant Buck

Get you a Havahart Trap, punch holes on top of a sardine can with an ice pick and place in the trap.

Old 11-04-2006, 08:06 AM
Typical Buck

that is the live trap I have. keep the ideas flowing. like the marshmellows. a bag of those would be cheap.
Old 11-04-2006, 08:41 AM

first of all the #2 trap is too large for coon .... go with an 11 longspring, #1 coil. or 1 1/2 coil with a mid-chain swivel .... coons are notorious chewers .... if they can get their teeth under the jaws they will chew their numbed feet .... not tryin to do anything possible to escape (as alot of people think) ... but they chew on anything near them due to stress .... and dont realize they are chewin their own flesh .... anyhow .... a 220 conibear set in a bucket cubby right by the feeders would do the trick ... just be sure that there are no pets around that may get caught .... if thats the case id go with the cage type or smaller footholds ..... but the 220's are the way to go when it comes to coon ... also ya can set them on the trails going to and from the feeders .... if ya interested in the 220's contact me and i can fill ya in on the diff methods of use ..... as far as baits .... it depends on the age of the coon and time of the year ... and ....well .... their mood at the time .... sumtimes its a fish based bait that will turn heads and others a sweet .... ya need to change up and use diff types to get the best results .... but i will tell ya that a beaver castor based lure or beaver castor itself will pull in sum coon ..... as far as sight attractors .... i used to believe in em and use em all the time for coon .... but they really cant see all that well .... (ps.... ya will pull in bobcats with those and birds of prey .... not to mention it may be illegal in your state) no matter if ya use em or not ya need to have the traps set right on their travel routes .... cant pull a coon very far .... anyhow .... like i said ... i may be able to help ya out .... good luck and by the way ... ya may be able to make a few bucks with the furs while protectin ya feeders
Old 11-04-2006, 11:43 PM
Fork Horn

my favorite method is either using honey buns, or get you a cheap box of sandwich bags and a bottle of maple surype and fill the bag 1/4 full of it then poke tiny little holes in it. it will last for ever and i guarinte that you will catch one. i used it in all of my traps and catch one every night
Old 11-05-2006, 10:52 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Rebel Hog

Get you a Havahart Trap, punch holes on top of a sardine can with an ice pick and place in the trap.

[align=center][/align]
I do the same thing, except I've usually used cheap cat food or tuna.

Quick Reply: Coon's how to trap em

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.