Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

PA girls trip to Texas

Old 10-30-2006, 06:12 PM

Default PA girls trip to Texas

I met Bethe on a hunting forum and we eventually discussed her coming to Texas to hunt with me and Michelle.She arrived on Friday afternoon and we all headed to our range to do some target shooting ,it didn't take her but a few shots to get used to my .243.[/align]She was here for predators but with 30 mph plus winds we decided to try for some hogs instead.It didn't take us long to get some coming our way,Bethe free handed got on the lead hog and shot,we followed blood and bone fragments for 1/4 of a mile then just lost the trail.We hated to give it up ,but decided we best move on.We had a huge and very upset boar giving us a cussing from thick cover shortly after that ,but being in such tight quarters we decided to give him space and see if we could get one out in the open.With dark closing in quick we heard one coming,as he crossed the trail Bethe quickly got on him and fired.I listened carefully for him to crash and thoughtI could hear him go down. We made our way back to the truck and got some lights for trailing,I found only small amounts of blood ,so walked to where I thought I heard him fall and there he laid.[/align]We later got into some good coon action, killed three and called it a night.[/align]Early the next morning things didn't start off good the wind was blowing a lot harder than it was supposed to be and the gate to the place I wanted to hunt was locked.We got busted by two coyotes coming in from the other way.[/align]we moved to another place and got some response but the farmer decided to drive around checking cows and messed that stand up.[/align]We decided to try another spot,we hadn't been calling long when a coyote came from our down wind side, past the truck to 20 yards in front of Michelle.Michelle missed ,the coyote took off ,I switched the Foxpro to coyote in distress and the coyote stopped at about 120 yards.Bethe made good on the shot right behind the shoulder,the coyote ran about 30 yards and piled up.This was her first Texas coyote and her first called coyote.We then moved to another place ,got set up and started calling ,it was now 11:30 am.In just a few minutes we saw something coming ,I was hesitant to believe it was a coyote due to it's size,the thing was huge! He came to within about 70 yards ,Bethe pulled the trigger and nothing happened! Michelle handed Bethe her rifle but the coyote was gone.She said "I blew it" ,I told her to stay calm he might come back.Sure enough he did,but kept hanging up withno chance for a shot ,I changed the sound to a raccoon and cottontail fighting and he broke loose! He stopped at about 110yards and Bethe was able to put him down! He was huge indeed 55 pounds and a young dog at that,no more than 3 for sure!we broke for the day to go skin Bethe's coyotes.[/align]We made another stand that evening after about 20 minutes on stand I decided it was time to move on ,when I saw a coyote out about 300 yards,and very timid acting,I changed sounds and she moved closer,but still wasn't sure.I changed again to the coon and cottontail,she dropped off in a ditch and tried to get down wind of us,she stopped at about 90 yards and Bethe put the smack down on her! Classic bang flop![/align]We called all the next day and never saw another coyote until night fall and that one got our wind before she could get on it![/align]Bethe is one of the better huntersI've had the privilege of taking out,she adjusts quickly to our way of hunting and hit everything she shot at,she's not to fond of having a charging hog coming her way in near darkness though![/align]We had a heck of a time,but I told Bethe she had to stay in PA ,because with her around in 6 months her and Michelle would eradicate all of my game![/align]
[/align]

30 pound coyote 55 pound coyote
[/align][/align]differance in normal coyote head and the 55 pounders head

[/align]we converted her![/align][/align]
[/align]
Old 11-01-2006, 09:16 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: PA girls trip to Texas

Very cool. That's a huge yote!
Old 11-01-2006, 08:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

Looks like you had some good hunting.
Old 11-02-2006, 08:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

Glenn thats awesome!!!
Old 11-02-2006, 01:07 PM

good texas coyotes have you had any trouble with a lot of them having mange this year?
Old 11-02-2006, 01:27 PM

so far I've only seen one lately with mange ,but we haven't been hunting them too hard of late ,fixin to pick back up though!
Old 11-04-2006, 08:17 AM

awesome story and pix !!! love it .... another friendship due to huntin !!!
Old 11-19-2006, 03:54 PM
Giant Nontypical

Good shooting to everyone
Old 11-20-2006, 04:13 PM
Typical Buck

nice job