" />

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

best ways to get yotes close

Old 09-21-2006, 05:12 PM

Default best ways to get yotes close

which calls work the best or bate i will be killin with a pistol so i need them kinda close
Old 09-21-2006, 05:47 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: best ways to get yotes close

Yotes are hard enough to call let alone get close .. good luck with that pistol.
Old 09-21-2006, 11:00 PM
Giant Nontypical

When shooting one with a pistol, I find a snare helps.

Some type of decoy, like a feather on a string will help if you call during the daytime. But you'll still have to let a bunch walk because they'll likely never come into range.
Old 09-22-2006, 12:56 AM
Nontypical Buck

you 'd better invest in some scent lok clothing and a ghillie suit even then the chances of getting a yote into pistol range is unlikely, though a curious and unexperienced yearling may wander in close enough for a pistol shot. ive had that happen a few times but those were the only times i managed to sucessfully take a yote with my 357. It is highly unlikely to get an extremely weary adult yote into pistol range. The closest ive ever got an adult yote in was buck shot range and thats about 40 to 60 yards.

think of yote hunting as a cross between deer hunting and turkey hunting, but coyotes have a sense of smell 40 times of what a deer has and their eye sight is as good if not better then a turkey. If you plan on being successful bring a rifle along too just incase you dont get one in close enough for the pistol. good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 12:43 PM
Fork Horn

good luck with the pistol anyway.... when they get within 200 yds ors try making a sound almost like a smooch ...with your lips together suck in air creating that smooching sound it will drive them crazy
Old 09-25-2006, 01:31 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: Arkansasmountainman

good luck with the pistol anyway.... when they get within 200 yds ors try making a sound almost like a smooch ...with your lips together suck in air creating that smooching sound it will drive them crazy
Dude, he's after yotes, not chihuahuas. That's how I get my wife's little fleabags to come inside... Come to think of it, anyone need a little target practice?
Old 09-26-2006, 10:10 AM
Spike

I find that if i use a combination of coyote vocalizations and a distress call in thick areas the coyotes are less likely to hang up due to the available cover. if they hear an interloper in their territory along with an animal in distress they usually come into investigate. keep the wind in yoru favor and watch all avenues for their approach and have fun.

Good luck, they aren't an easy animal to harvest with any gun if your just starting out.
Old 09-26-2006, 06:51 PM
Fork Horn

works on both kind of dogs just drag it out to last longer for yotes it works used it today on a double