HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   WHAT 9MM FOR VARMINTS? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/155597-what-9mm-varmints.html)

savagescout 09-09-2006 10:59 PM

WHAT 9MM FOR VARMINTS?

I have a 9mm hi-point carbine with a red dot scope. I have used it to take a ton of jacks. I can get on target and nail them fast, it is a really fun gun. I don't want to hear about those of you who think these guns are cheap. Because I don't care, I sometimes get scoffs from friends about hi-point then they shoot it and end up wanting one. I have some nice guns and appreciate them, but if I am going after jack rabbits this one gets the grab 9x out of 10. I was wondering if any of you use something similar a pistol round in a rifle. I have even had this 9mm rifle out calling coyotes saw nothing the times I have had it but would not feel under gunned with it up close. I have shot hundreds of rounds though this gun and never a missfire or hick up. I have never put this gun on paper because like I said I nail what I point at. So does anyone use 9mm .357 mag 40 cal. etc.

jsb57 09-10-2006 09:07 AM

RE: WHAT 9MM FOR VARMINTS?

i dont use a pistol caliber but i have read about people using .357s but i like the hi-points i have a 9mm pistol with a compensator and it shoots pretty good for a $110 gun

coloradoprohunter 09-10-2006 03:15 PM

i dont use a pistol caliber
dito

sean665 09-10-2006 07:24 PM

I don't even know anyone who uses pistol calibers, need something with more reach out here.

HighDesertWolf 09-11-2006 06:18 PM

out of my ruger PC9 carbine ive used American (IMI) 90 grain frangible 9mm loads I believe they have a muzzle velocity of 1600 fps. ive shot jack bunnies out to 100 or so yards with these they are quite accurate from my carbine about 1 to 1 1/2 inch groups at 100 yards with a red dot scope. when they hit a jack they blow apart leaving the jack looking like a 40 grain V-max out of a 22-250 just hit it. IMO these loads give the best range and terminal performance for varmints with a hangun caliber.

Diggerr 09-14-2006 10:36 PM

dont see a problem with it as long as your making the shot. Ive used a 45 acp at close range works well

260rem 09-15-2006 05:32 AM

I used to use my Glock 19 out to 25m on Rabbits and Hares, I found Magtec 115gr JHP pills worked the best I have even nailed pigs with them. A friend of mine has a bolt action 9mm of some type that is a great little camp gun and once I turned him on to the Magtec rounds he stuck with them also.

ipscshooter 09-15-2006 10:46 AM

Sounds like fun, and the 9mm should be effective if you can get them within range. I'm curious about this, though:

ORIGINAL: savagescout

I have never put this gun on paper because like I said I nail what I point at.
How did you get your red dot sighted in if you've never used it on paper? Were you just lucky that it was installed perfectly?

savagescout 09-19-2006 10:12 AM

ipscshooter, I sighted the rifle in on a rock about 50yrds away and started hunting with it.