Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Old 11-06-2002, 09:55 AM

Default .17

I just purchased a new .17. It is 6 to 7 hundred feet per second faster than a .22lr. It is very accurate and flat shooting. Excellent squirrel and varmint gun. Any questions or comments?

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-07-2002, 10:35 AM

Default RE: .17

<BLOCKQUOTE id=quote<font size=1 face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' id=quote>quote:<hr height=1 noshade id=quote>It's no more destructive than a .22. Get a head shot.
was gonna get one but it dawned on me its only good for shooting small inedible stuff, so its basicly for crows in the east. most guys unhappy with them for foxes, wood chucks must be headshot. to destructive for squirrels! have no use for it
RR

Born To Hunt, Forced To Work.
http://ridge_runner_stw.tripod.com/r...twscyberspace/

<hr height=1 noshade id=quote></BLOCKQUOTE id=quote></font id=quote><font face='Verdana, Arial, Helvetica' size=2 id=quote>

RYAN SMITH
Old 11-07-2002, 06:11 PM

You purchased a great gun. Is it a .17 HMR? If you look in the recent predator magazine, it shows the .17 is very accurate. Very good for squirrels, foxes, coyotes, rabbits in the east and west, shoots faster and hits harder than a 22lr or 22 magnum. I'm purchasing the Volquartsen .17 HMR in January. The only downfall to the .17 is long range shooting on windy conditions. Windy weather can affect the .17 a lot more than the 22lr or 22 magnum mainly because its so small. But dont let that detear you. Have you killed anything with it?

Squirrel Master
Old 11-08-2002, 07:25 AM

Yes, it is a .17 hmr squirrel master. I haven't killed anything with it yet because the weather has been bad for about a week. It is clearing up and i am going get some bushy tails tomorrow morning. I'll let you know how they take one on the chin from the .17. Ammo is $10.00 for 50 rounds.

RYAN SMITH
Old 12-03-2002, 07:43 PM
Fork Horn

You got yourself a great caliber. ruger and remington are now making the .17 in autos.
Old 12-08-2002, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I have to back up RR on this one. The 17hmr is great for crows but its very marginal on red fox, head and good double lung only, and not even close to marginal on coyotes. THe 22 mag with a lot more bullet is your best bet on coyotes and even then only out to 75 -100 yards. I have talked to several guys that have shot coyotes with the 17hmr and only one of those was a one shot recovery, that was a 15 yards shot into the head of a yote, the rest have been mulitiple shot losses. One in particular was an average female coyote that was shot broadside at 70 yards, she went down at the shot but then was up and running, the guys partner then cleaned up with his 223. THey couldn't find where the first bullet had hit until they skinned it, there was a realy big bruise and a cracked rib on one side of the coyte with a bunch of little pieces of copper in the bruise, the bullet didnt' make it into the body cavity, this is a rib not a shoulder mind you. that was the 5 and final coyote he shot with the 17hmr. You have to keep in mind that it was designed for use with small 8oz-2lb rodents and birds, not 30-40lb coyotes, thats like trying to use a .223 with light weight expandable bullets on alaskan brown bear, it can work but not with any kind of regularity.
Old 12-12-2002, 09:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

I see a lot of people buying them but the biggest problem around here is the availability of ammo for the thing . Like some of the others I can't think of a use for it . I'll just keep using my 22 centerfires and rolling my own .
Old 12-13-2002, 11:52 AM

i cant justify $10 a box for ammo on a regular basis its too rich for my blood.

propmahn
save the world, reload your brass

Old 12-13-2002, 06:35 PM
Typical Buck

..Im with Ridge Runner,they are weak for yotes,and i know the
22mag, is for sure...them dogs are tougher than you think
if you want your yote go with a 223,222,243...etc he wont just
take off barking leaving you to track,and find if lucky....

..JESUS IS COMING BACK BE READY...
Old 12-15-2002, 08:41 PM

I read somewhere that a .17 bullet disentigrates on impact is this true?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.