Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

chipmunk hunting

Old 08-10-2006, 03:30 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: chipmunk hunting

You like those early warning devices too? They've helped me lots of times.

Story to tell;

Several years ago, I was taking my young step-son out with me to do some late season scouting. It was right after the close of archery season here in PA, mid November.

He was 11 years old and eager to learn all he could about hunting.

We were watching an apple tree that still had a few apples clinging on it.

As we were waiting, I heard a couple chick-a-dees sounding their alarm call. I explained to my step-son to always listen for that sound when hunting. When you hear it it means that bird sees something and is sounding the alarm. I told him to keep an eye in that direction. W

Within a few minutes, out strolled a medium sized black bear.

Needless to say, he learned a valuabletip that day.
Old 08-12-2006, 09:51 AM
Fork Horn

that would freak me out if bears came to where i was deer hunting. But Ive killed a chipmunk with my Tippman model 98 custom paintball gun before. it was kinda of an accident because it was just standing there and my buddy knowing im a hunter said why dont I shoot it and Ijust for fun I sent a couple paintballs over at it and when I went to look at it it was there dead as a doornail. a paintball must have hit it in the head and killed it as for as I can guess.. (ohh yea that was all skill and no luck by the way)
Old 08-12-2006, 01:46 PM

When I was learning my father taught me a few of the things he learned from his uncle, among other things, the early warning thing. Just like the Chickadees, I havemore than afew Chipmonks around my stand. Usually not long after sunrise they are already ignoring me, but anything that comes near has them scrambling and chriping away.

Also, if you want to know how good you are at sitting still and not being noticed or thought of as a threat, the closer the Chickadees and Chipmonks get to you, the better you are doing. I can usually get them eating seeds off the toe of my boot when it's not too cold to keep completely still.
Old 08-14-2006, 11:25 PM
Typical Buck

Judo point!! on the way to a evening sit. shot many
Old 08-21-2006, 10:11 PM

What about when they hop up on your leg and start eating out of your cup of trailmix? I was sitting on a rock one day, eating my cup oftrailmix, studying the lake out infront of me, when I feel something weighing down on my hand... I looked down, and sure enough there was a chipmunk in my cup... thelittle bugger was eating the peanuts and raisins and whatnot... I just stared at it and thought to myself 'you've got to be kidding me...nobody messes with my trailmix...'

When we were younger, my brothers and I would find a Y-shaped branch,cut it, take a big rubber band, break it and tape an end onto each of the two prongs, then make a pouch out of a strip of duct tape,and hunt the local chipmunks... I must say, those homemade slingshots worked quite well, and were a bane to many a neighborhood chipmunk and chickadee back in the day. I remember shooting them with an old fiberglass Ben Pearson longbow (which is actually 3 feet from me now, leaning against the wall) which I found in my grandmother's basement... I was actually pretty good with that thing... But I've left the chipmunks alone for some time now, left them to their little games, and moved onto bigger things...
Old 08-22-2006, 05:21 PM

try this link http://www.airgunsbbguns.com/Quest_1000_177_p/croc1k77.htmit is a .177 1000fps breakbarrel for $85. i recently shot one about 2 months ago w/ my Crosman 760 with pointed pellets. i was sitting about 1 foot from a woodpile and he kept sticking his head out and finally showed it's body and it was about 2 inches from the muzzle and i pulled the trigger. he spazzed and dropped right where i shot him
Old 08-23-2006, 10:56 PM

I'm pretty proud - I got 2 for two last weekend . With my bow ! Pics are in 35mm . Thats probably the best shooting I've done .
Old 09-22-2006, 06:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

how about darts??
Old 06-16-2010, 11:06 AM
Spike

chipmunks can you hunt them in Colorado or catch and keep them i can't find any information on that please help i want to know. if i can hunt or keep them thanks.
Old 06-16-2010, 12:09 PM
Fork Horn

I don't know about chipmunks, but the next time a squirrel comes into my yard when practicing with my bowfishing bow things are going to get fun

Quick Reply: chipmunk hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.