Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Shot a Mangy Coyote Today - Picture

Old 06-13-2006, 07:29 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Shot a Mangy Coyote Today - Picture

Today, around noon, my cousin called me and asked if I could come shoot a coyote that was following her around in her alfalfa field. I got to the field and the coyote had dissappeared for a while. When it re-appeared about 20 minutes later,I realized why it had been acting "goofy" as she called it. The coyote had already lost 90% or so of its fur. I shot it at 100 yards running/quartering away with my Tikka T3 243, 75gr Hornady HPs. The pictures were taken about 2 hours after I shot the coyote, Ihad to go finish spraying and then track down my brothers gf to get the digital camera. Anyone else seeing Mange this summer?

On my way back to the alfalfa field to take pictures, a jackrabbit decided to bounce around enough to get my attention. Shot with same load gun as coyote at 150 yards.

For more photos of the coyote go here. http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/ramboss429/Varmints/
Old 06-13-2006, 07:57 PM
Spike

Default RE: Shot a Mangy Coyote Today - Picture

I haven't seen any this year yet, my season opens in August and ends in April... [:@]
Wow he looks bad lol and that hole he didn't feel anything nice shot...

keep up the good work...
Old 06-13-2006, 08:12 PM

cool. my grandpa shot one like that in november while deer hunting. i want to get a coyote one day
Old 06-13-2006, 08:58 PM
Nontypical Buck

Ya, the poor coyote never felt a thing at the squeeze of the trigger. That is actually the entrance hole, the bullet never exited, it blew up on its upper shoulder blade and that was the end of its suffering. Now there are about 3 or 4 more that my neighbors have been talking about that I need to erradicate.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

they sure do look funny running around with no hair...i shot one last summer that looked the same..
Old 06-13-2006, 09:44 PM

ORIGINAL: Rammer

Today, around noon, my cousin called me and asked if I could come shoot a coyote that was following her around in her alfalfa field. I got to the field and the coyote had dissappeared for a while. When it re-appeared about 20 minutes later,I realized why it had been acting "goofy" as she called it. The coyote had already lost 90% or so of its fur. I shot it at 100 yards running/quartering away with my Tikka T3 243, 75gr Hornady HPs. The pictures were taken about 2 hours after I shot the coyote, Ihad to go finish spraying and then track down my brothers gf to get the digital camera. Anyone else seeing Mange this summer?

On my way back to the alfalfa field to take pictures, a jackrabbit decided to bounce around enough to get my attention. Shot with same load gun as coyote at 150 yards.

For more photos of the coyote go here. http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y74/ramboss429/Varmints/
I see you shot the goat sucker of mexico...Chupacabra
I am curious why you use HP for hunting if you don't mind me asking????
Old 06-13-2006, 09:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

I always use 75gr HPs out of my 243 for shooting small critters such as jacks, coyotes, fox, etc. On a fully furred coyote I have yet to have an exit hole with that load (I have it loaded down a lil bit over max load), and it anchors everything on the spot. I even shot a wounded doe (buddy wounded it and couldn't hit it again) with the 75gr HPs last winter and it dropped in its tracks at 256 yards.

If I decide to use my 243 on bigger critters like deer/antelope it gets 95gr Combined Technology Ballistic Tips loaded to max load.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:58 PM

I was wondering about the accuracy of the HP over longer distance as to a BT and the damage to the pelt...I guess if you want to stake them down that will do it...
Old 06-13-2006, 10:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have had absolutely great luck with the flatbased HPs over the years, and don't think there is hardly any difference between them and BT designed bullets for varmints. In the off-season when my buddies and I are all loading up ammo for the upcoming hunts, we set out 20 ounce pop bottles out to 400 yards filled with water, and using a backpack as a rest we can explode them with 100% success at 300 yards and about 80% at 400 with our 243s and the Hornady HPs.
Old 06-14-2006, 12:57 PM

buddy...you got yourself 1 ugly coyote! Almost looks like my sister.... Ive never seen a naked coyote....big entry hole. Good shootin Rammer!

Quick Reply: Shot a Mangy Coyote Today - Picture

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.