Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs! >

New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Old 06-13-2006, 07:30 AM

Default New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Hello I am knew to the forum and I need some help with a stray dog problem.
I have a lot of stray dogs that run loose in my area and am looking for some ideas on how to rid myself of them.
I don't like them crusing the woods and they do come in my yard when my children are playing. I have tried scaring them off but they just come back.
The problem is I am not home all the time to keep a watch, otherwise I would just introduce them to some buck shot.
My wife wants me to put out a present of dog food and antifreze for them. She afraid they might bite one of the kids when they are playing outside. Would leveing the "bad" dog food outside be a problem? I don't want any other animals to get into it and get sick.
Does any body have any other ideas?
Old 06-13-2006, 07:35 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

You might want to make sure that they are all strays (or at least free-ranging nuisance animals). Otherwise, putting out poison might also get rid of the friendly neighbor's dog that occasionally wanders up to say hello. But then again, poison is going to take care of anything that wanders through and has a snack.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:25 AM
Fork Horn

hey 9 piont, welcome to the club.(consider your self addicted from this piont forward.).
About your problem. are they freindly enough you could talk them into petting range? If so you could tie them up and call thew animal control.(obviously be careful not to get bit.).
I remember when i was really young my dad had an arrow with solid rubber blunt tip on it he would shoot at strays. It seemed to work when ever they saw him they would take off tail tucked.
when you see them wondering around see if you can follow,to see if they belong to a neighbor. I hope you find a solution soon. for the saftey sake of you fam.
Old 06-13-2006, 08:47 AM

The dogs are not freindly enough to get close too.

There is one very large dobermin that makes me very nervous.
If he got a hold of one of the kids it would be bad.

I know a few of the dogs belong to some of the neighbors and we have told them to keep them away but they won't keep them locked up.
We are out in BFE as far as the police or animal control is concerned.
It's hard to get them to come out when you need them.

I do own 2 dogs myself and I would never just let them run loose.

Would a leg trap work on dogs?
I know my wifes father has a few old leg traps in his garage.
The problem is with not being at home during the dayI need something I can set and check once a day.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:22 AM
Spike

long story short...!
Send the wife and kids to the movies get a 22 with a baby nipal with me so far...?
Slit the end of the nipal put it over the end of the barrel head shots only...
Old 06-13-2006, 09:45 AM
Boone & Crockett

Since you have clarified your circumstances somewhat, I'd say its open season on dogs. As for leghold traps, if you are dealing with Doberman sized dogs, then you probably need at least a #2 coil spring. Then, a .22 bullet to the skull and a shallow grave in the woods and the problem starts to disappear.
Old 06-13-2006, 11:16 AM
Dominant Buck

Poisoning animals , especially domestic animals , is illegal nearly everywhere . In some states so is shooting them unless you're prepared to show that they are threatening your kids or livestock . If fencing isn't practical I reccomend getting in some target practice followed by a session of SSS .

If the owner is known call the animal control folks if you have them , or the sheriff's dept. if you don't . This happened to me recently , I had a black lab that was running every time I let him out of the pen whether I liked it or not . Several times he went next door and killed chickens . One day when I got home there was a warning citation from the county's brand new animal control officer , in the end it cost me a $4 dog tax license and $15 for a three year rabies shot . The offending dog got taken to the animal shelter the following Monday when he tried to bolt again , they placed him in a new home by the weekend .
Old 06-13-2006, 01:00 PM

I agree with kevin1, try all resources first, like calling the police, animal control, or dog catcher. Poisoning wouldn't be my cup of tea, they could get sick and end up in Peta's president's yard and die, then you'd be screwed. If all the proper methods fail, I would have to put down some stray dogs myself, the old fashioned way. Just cover your ass and try to do the right thing first so you don't get in a heap of trouble! Good luck my man, I know I wouldn't take chances with my kids around. Also welcome to the forum!
Old 06-13-2006, 01:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I wouldn't poison them. You might find yourself on the evening News if a neighbor finds out. Just think of the hate mail!

Call animal control. Document times and days you called. Ask them what to do.

I'd keep a record of my calls and if they don't respond break out the .22.

You may need the records of all your phone calls, for you defense, if it goes to court.
Old 06-13-2006, 09:49 PM

Dogs to me are different than stray cats,I would blast a cat without thinking about it...But a dog. especially a dober has to belong to someone in the area...Thats an expensive dog for someone to just turn loose. If itescaped
Iam sure someone would belooking for it...

Quick Reply: New to Forum: Need Help w/Stray Dogs!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.