Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Animal snares?

Old 04-17-2006, 08:40 AM
Fork Horn

Default Animal snares?

Well I know thats it not around trapping season or anything, but I was thinking about maybe giving snares a shot. A guy on tv had luck with them so I figure I can maybe catch something? My question is how do you make them? Where to set them ? What could you catch with them to ? and hows it work?
Old 04-17-2006, 11:58 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Animal snares?

watching survivorman huh
Old 04-17-2006, 03:03 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Kamil

watching survivorman huh
yes sir , he is pretty cool isnt he?
Old 04-17-2006, 08:11 PM

I've been using these lately and have had a lot of luck. All you do is make a noose and put them on a small game trail. With little ones you can catch rabbit, squirrel, and sometimes quail. I've heard of people using metalwire and snaring deer.
Old 04-17-2006, 09:52 PM
Typical Buck

yeh that guy knows what he's doing...i wish i had his job
Old 04-18-2006, 07:01 PM

You might want to do some research first. Some states they are illegal and some have regulations to size of loop to having a deer stop. I don't want to rain on anyones parade but there is more to it than just hanging one in a trail. Get some books on it or find someone that has been doing it for years. The more you know about it the more animals you'll catch and the more fun you'll have.
Old 04-19-2006, 09:24 PM

A few years back I started using snares, and they are now my favorite kind of trap. This is because they are 98% invisible in almost any location, and are very light, quick, and easy to set up. As wyotrapper said, you do need to check your state regulations, as here in minnesota you're only allowed to use them with diameter restrictions and at least half submerged in water until later in the season. Make sure you know your game or you may catch something by accident (like a deer....BIG oops). Be careful and responsible, but have fun!
Old 04-21-2006, 04:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cocky90

I've been using these lately and have had a lot of luck. All you do is make a noose and put them on a small game trail. With little ones you can catch rabbit, squirrel, and sometimes quail. I've heard of people using metalwire and snaring deer.
The use of snares in Georgia is limited to Beaver only and they must be placed either in the water or within 10 feet of water. Snares used today are not anything like those of a few years ago although for the survivalist, the old fashioned type will still work very well. In this politically correct age we live in, snares are now called "Cable Restraints" and depending on the state in which you live, may be used for taking a variety of furbearers. Check out Hal Sullivans' traplinecommunity bulletin board at sullivansline.com for more information than you really want to know about snares and snaring. Above all, check the regulations in your state for legal restrictions on the use of snares or traps.
Old 04-21-2006, 07:59 AM

Coastie: I'm sorry if you misunderstood me but that's what I snare are beavers. I even have a small game trapping liscence. I was just saying when you set them near the water you catch unitended game.
Old 04-23-2006, 04:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Cocky90

Coastie: I'm sorry if you misunderstood me but that's what I snare are beavers. I even have a small game trapping liscence. I was just saying when you set them near the water you catch unitended game.
Sorry if I "misunderstood" you, but your post said you weresnaring Rabbits, Squirells and the occaisional Quail. There is no such thing in Georgia as a small game trapping license, only a Resident Trapping License which entitles you to take furbearers with traps between December 1 and February 28. And allows for taking Beaver, Coyote, Woodchucks and Armadillos by any legal means year round.

Quick Reply: Animal snares?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.