Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

COYOYE DEN ERADICATION

Old 04-13-2006, 07:36 AM
laz

Default COYOYE DEN ERADICATION

I'd like to get rid of a coyote den on my property before their pups come out. It is on the middle a steep south facing slope that it difficult to approach. I would welcome suggestions. Thank you.
Old 04-13-2006, 08:37 AM

Default RE: COYOYE DEN ERADICATION

Where is the wind usually coming from? Do you have any experience on hunting coyotes? What do you have in terms of gear, calls, etc. etc.? This will play an improtant role in determining the best approach, and giving us more details. Distress calls will lure a hungry yote out, or even just to investigate. Try scouting tha area in early morning or evening, so you can learn the habits of the yote. I am not saying study for months, just watching for a couple of days to catch the yotes habits and runs will really help execute a hunt and best approach to the den.
Old 04-13-2006, 10:52 AM
Dominant Buck

If you already know where the den is toss some bleach down the hole followed by some ammonia , cover very quickly with a sheet of plastic with some branches to hold it down and get away from it . The two will combine to generate chlorine gas , DO NOT BREATHE THE VAPOR , which will kill all the pups and make the den unusable , the mother yote will take the hint and move on . Chlorine is highly toxic but it will gradually neutralize into harmless salts .
Old 04-13-2006, 01:25 PM
laz

Thanks for the suggestions fellows!.

The slope with the den faces south, across the ravine the next ridge (probably 75 yards) I could set up with a rifle in the evenings. But the wind in Indiana is usually from the south. Would they come out before total darkness?
I'll try popping them with the 300 Winchester before the gas. But I do want them gone!
Old 04-14-2006, 05:32 AM
Dominant Buck

Yotes are mainly nocturnal , but you can catch them out of the den during the day if they think they hear an easy meal . A deke that's visible and not too far away while you're calling will catch their eye and draw them out .
Old 04-14-2006, 08:39 AM
laz

Thanks Kevin and Coyotestalker!

I'll keep you posted in a week and let you know howI did.

I borrowed a wounded rabbit tape and will lay on the ridge in the evening with a rifle about 75 yards across fro the den.
Old 04-14-2006, 10:26 AM
Boone & Crockett

Gas bombs? 300 Winchesters. Hell, why don't you ask the Air Force to call in a napalm air strike?

Seriously, if you could capture the pups, I know a guy in southern Illinois that will probably pay 50 bucks apiece for them. But i doubt that it would be worth the effort unless you like advertures like that.
Old 04-14-2006, 11:59 AM

Well you could do like my Dumb *** brother did and go right to the den and drag the pups out of it. He had no idea if the mother was in the den or not he just goes up to this den and makes alot of noise going to it then when he gets there crawls half way down the whole with nothing but his legs stick'n out and starts dragging pups out of the den.

Not real bright - if you ask me - but then he got 3 pups out of the den and the mother never did come around while we were there.

I don't know what kind or regs you have for trapping as far as snares go but they would work real nice near a den. Otherwise I would get a road kill deer and drag it up there and make a gang set around the carcase in about a 10 ' diameter circle and see how that works if the calling doesn't do it. momma coyote needs food for the little ones and she isn't going to pass up a free meal - put the set about 30 yards out from the den maybe even a little farther and try not to leave any scent (human) or you wont have much luck. Also when checking the set make sure you only go to the set if neccessary - check from a distance with a pair of Binocs - the less the coyote thinks you're around the better and believe me she will know when you are close to her den especially if she has pups.

Good Luck !
Old 04-14-2006, 06:36 PM

haha hilarious lanse
Old 04-14-2006, 07:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

I like jhoffman's roadkill idea. Nothing like a big hunk of bait to get their attention.

Quick Reply: COYOYE DEN ERADICATION

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.