Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Spring coyotes

Old 04-02-2006, 02:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Spring coyotes

whats a good way to hunt coyotes this time of year. i'm going up to ky this coming weekend and turkey season isn't open yet so i thought i might try and hunt some yotes... would a fawn distress work or should i go buy some more calls. i have a mouse squeaker, turkey calls, and a howler that doesn't sound good. what would you recommend???
Old 04-02-2006, 04:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Spring coyotes

I think the mating season is still lingering, so howlingshould work. However, coyotes could come to any of the calls you mentioned. It's a little early for fawns, but that doesn't mean they won't come to a fawn in distress. I've called up coyotes with several critter distress type calls from critters we don't even have.

Squeakers are great to have, but they don't have a lot of volume. When I first start at a set, I squeak just to check and make sure nothing's close that I'm going to startle or scare away. I also squeak when I am nearly finished at a set, just to make sure anything that is on it's way and is nearly to mehas had the opportunity to show. Squeakers are also handy if a coyote starts to hang up when he is getting in range, or when one won't hold still for a shot. Sometimes a squeak will get just enough reaction to make one pause for a shot.
Old 04-02-2006, 04:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info. aobut the howler i have i would use it except that it doesn't sound very realistic. i listened to the instuctional tape and it still didn't help. i suppose it doesn't have to sound exactly like a coyote if i use it when they are far away. would this be a good assumption???
Old 04-02-2006, 08:14 PM

Along with the fawn distress, I would get a couple of cottontail or jackrabbit distress calls. Those tend to lay in the wind nice, and a yote cannot ignore a rabbit call. A female yote call will draw in any unmated males. I have had some pairs of males hungry for mates, rush in with one or two female calls. What a feeling it is to get a double!!!!
Old 04-03-2006, 12:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

thanks for the info. i'm in the process of making a decoy to put out in the field and am planning on going and getting a cottontail distress call on wednesday. even if my howler doesn't sound like a howl close up should i still use it???
Old 04-04-2006, 06:34 PM
usa
Fork Horn

Why doesn't your howler sound like a coyote ? what doe's it sound like ? are you biting down on the reed when you call ? no two yotes sound alike and they usually know every yote in their territory so you will be the stranger that they may come to investigate, try one howl at a time going to a high pitch and cutting off sharply , don't draw it out at the end of the howl. call a couple of times and then wait for about 5 minutes and try again, if they are unsure they will come in silently on your downwind side to check you out, forget the feathers they're useless if theres no wind or to much wind , get a zebco 202 fishing reel and attach a coontail or piece of fur to it and place it about 20 yds from your setup over a treelimb or bush and when you call make it dance from the ground up.with a little practice you can make it look like a squirrel or rabbit standing up and looking around, it's also great for playing jokes on your family, good luck
Old 04-04-2006, 08:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

the howler i have is actually a closed reed call. i heard another guys howler the other day and it sounded like mine so it may just be that it doesn't sound right close up. i haven't tried hearing it from a distance. i suppose i'll try it and see.