Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

A night on the bunnies

Old 04-01-2006, 09:22 PM

Default A night on the bunnies

I just got back from a nights spotlighting Rabbits and Foxes with a couple of mates.
I was going to pop down to VIC this weekend and chase a big Sambar but I just don’t have the time so when the offer to go for a spotlight 45min down the road presented itself I changed my plans and it went pretty good I got 3 Rabbits with my new 375H&H and grazed a Fox that my dog caught along with another 2 Rabbits and my mate Jamie got a great fox with his 17rem that made for a great skinning lesson.
I forgot my camera but Jamie took some photos and he is going to give them to me tomorrow I only went to give my dog a run and get a little more used to the new rifle. It worked quite well as by the end of the night the big 375H&H felt like I was using a 30/06 I think that I will use this gun for all my shooting for a while.

The fox was quite funny as I grazed its leg with my 1st shot at about 150m but the next two were on the trot and I had to avoid shooting when it was near the big rocks on the hill.
We got out to give my dog a go and as soon as she saw it she was off like a shot it turned back towards the left where my mate was when it saw him so it turned back the other way only to be met by a very excited Staghound with bad plans for its future.
What followed was a rather comical “Benny Hill” style chase as my dog had only caught 3 fox pups before this and she kept letting it go in order to get a better grip and it would run off again with both the dog and us in hot pursuit over this rocky hill in the dark only to get caught again and then released this went on for 5 minutes or so until she could get it by the throat and that’s when it was all over.

I came home that night but the others are having another shot tonight I they bag a few more foxes or a Red deer turns up for them this arvo but I wont know until tomorrow.

Old 04-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: A night on the bunnies

I got 3 nice Rabbits with my new 375H&H

That should get the job done, barely.
Old 04-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

I just want to know if there was anything left of the rabbits!? Thats a little big for bunnies but I bet it was fun!
Old 04-05-2006, 03:32 AM

As I just got the rifle I wanted to get to know it a little better, and in my view if you can shoot Rabbits at 100m then a big Sambar deer is going to be a lot easier to hit.
The moral of the story is practice practice practice.
Old 04-05-2006, 05:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

After shooting rabbits at 100 m it should be a breeze shooting deer at the same distance...
Old 04-05-2006, 06:39 AM

Rabbits in the brush at 100 yards would make for excellent practice with a new rifle. More guys should use their primary weapons this way, in my opinion, as you can't get that kind of practice at the bench.

Sounds like you and the dog had fun. Amazing how little damage was done to the rabbits, but I guess there really isn't enough there to slow a 375 round.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:11 AM

Holes were about the same as a 22long hollow point does you just smile a lot more after you pull the trigger.
Old 04-06-2006, 04:48 AM

And just for anyone who thinks a 375H&H is too much gun for Rabbits this is what a 120gr Nosler BT does to one out of a 260rem.

Now thats what I call a waste of meat
Old 04-06-2006, 04:06 PM

why would you do that? what a waste of an animal.
Old 04-07-2006, 05:15 AM

ORIGINAL: 260rem
Now thats what I call a waste of meat
I was culling a heap for a farmer and I had already head shot 3 for the pot, so I decided to get some off hand practice in with the new Kahles scope before an upcoming Pigging trip.
I was shooting them on the hop at 30-50m, which does wonders for your aim by the way.

Quick Reply: A night on the bunnies

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.