Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coon hunting

Old 03-25-2006, 09:41 PM

Default Coon hunting

Anybody on here ever done any coon hunting. Its my favorite animal to hunt. Let hear any stories or opnions on this fine sport.
Old 03-25-2006, 09:46 PM

Default RE: Coon hunting

story 1: shot 12 coons out of the same tree in less then 5 min.
story 2:shoot coon standing on top of silo ladder,lays between silo wall and step,begin climbing up ladder get to far to turn back and coon jumps down pipe after me
story 3: hunting in a friends old farrowing unit coon pops up in a hole in the wall. shoot it. it falls out another coon same hole gun misfires coon actually steps on my foot. the door was closed so he couldnt get out shot him with 22 pistol weighed 41lbs. honest pissed myself a little with that one.
Old 03-26-2006, 06:24 AM
Boone & Crockett

I did a lot of coonhunting back in the early '80s. One of the local furbuyers had a biggest coon contest (by weight). My partner and I got one that weighed about 20 pounds and entered it. Everyone kept telling us that they had bigger coons in their freezers and would enter them and win the contest at the end of the season. However, we ended up winning. I think that it was a 50 dollar prizeto go with the 25 or 30 bucks that we got for the coon.
Old 03-26-2006, 10:52 PM
Giant Nontypical

When I still had my cowdog, I hunted them with him quite a bit. He was very good at tracking the little critters and then keeping track of where they were in the tree. I still lived on the ranch at that time, and went out after them nearly every night until the batteries on my spotlight went dead (about 45 minutes). Most nights I got two to three, then occasionally I'd get a dozen or so. I also had some oak trees I would hit with the spotlight every night down by a stock tank, and if I was more than 150 or so yards away, the coons would still be looking at me and I could see their eyes. With the .223, I could knock two or three out before they would realize something was up and head for better cover.

I showed steers in high school, so we always had some feed out at the barns. Coons would come out every night to feed. I had the .22 one night down there, and killed about a dozen coons just as fast as I could spot one, shoot, then lock on to the next one. They would climb whatever they could get to the fastest to get away from the dog and the cat (I had a big tom cat that would go down to the barn with me, and he was actually better at thrashing coons than the dog). This night, the coons all ran up on the metal barns, and I could hear them running across the roof. It made them a lot easier to locate. The last coon I shot made it to the top of the barn, and stood up and looked at me when the light hit him. I shot him in the chest, and he grabbed his chest with both hands, let out a little squall, then rolled off the roof. Just like a cowboy in one of those old westerns.

It's a wonder on a couple of trips I didn't shoot myself. Probably came the closest when I was opening a large sliding shop door and a snake fell on me. Sparrows were nesting in top of the door, and had just finished hatching their little ones. The snake had found a way up the door and had pretty much cleaned house on the sparrows that night, and was probably just laying on top of the door digesting when some idiot shook him loose opening the door.
Old 03-27-2006, 06:59 AM

First time I ever went coon hunting a friend of my dads was telling us that he had this great coon dog and it was the best. He brought the dog over to take us out and he lets the dog out of the truck and it only has three legs. - I was like this ought to be a good one - but within 15 min this dog had a coon up a pine tree. Couldn't get a good shot on the coon so this guy starts climbing the tree. He was about 20 ft out when i yell to him hey the coons comming back down at ya. He pulls his pistol and just starts blasting at it. the coon falls out and hits him on the way down. The funniest thing i ever saw.

I just got two coon dog pups - they're bluetick/plott mixes and I am still in the middle of trainning them. They are only 6 mnths old. I had them out the other night and the one took off on me and would not come back. After awhile of looking for him in the dark he comes trotting back dragging a coon. he must have caught it comming across the open field and the coon could not make it to a tree or hole. I just got to get them to bark on trail and tree good and I think I'll have some good dogs. They have not hardly been worked on coon yet mostly just obedience trainning and playing with coon hides but i obviously knows what he is supposed to do when he gets a live one.
Old 04-09-2006, 04:34 PM

We were out running the dogs in June. The dog treed so we walked in a ways and then the dog shut up. We walked a little more and stopped and heard a big rustling in the tree above us. Here the dog had walked up a leaning tree following the coon but the coon gave him the slip and went down another tree. Took us a while to get him talked into coming down but he made it alright.
Old 04-10-2006, 05:17 PM
Typical Buck

i have been chased by a few that i had aparently made very angry.
Old 04-11-2006, 04:44 PM
Typical Buck

Just really got into it this season. Aint got alot of good stories yet.
One night we cut my English and My buddies Walker into this place, never been hunted nor trapped. It wasnt 2 min. they were treed on this big ol den tree. Had 3 up on the out. Shot the lowest one closest to the hole out. Couldnt see the other 2 and squalled to get one to look. Well, we got a good look as the one started down the tree at us! She was comin to help that boar coon we just killed! She was pissed buddy! Got to about 7 ft. before we got a shot into her, and knocked her out to the dogs.
Old 04-20-2006, 06:41 AM

here are some pics of my coon dog pups at 6 months old - they are Bluetick/Plott mixes

Old 04-20-2006, 06:42 AM

Brie

Quick Reply: Coon hunting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.