Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Possum help??

Old 03-23-2006, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default Possum help??

Haven't trapped in years and have a big ole Possum holed up under my deck. He's driving my dogs nuts, how do I get rid of this guy ( I hope not female). I live in a subdivision and can't shoot him. I think he is feedingfrom a deer feeder I have set up behind my house and he finds things pretty comfortable.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:49 AM

Default RE: Possum help??

Set a 220 conibearwhere he is leaving the deck. Or make a cubby set for a conibear near the spot he enters and exits the deck and put some bait like fruit in back of the cubby. Or set a live trap, drive it off into the country and shoot it.
Old 03-23-2006, 10:34 AM

I would get a cage trap, raccoon sized, to remove the little grinner.

Find out where he is coming out from under the deck and set the trap there. Place the door so that it is right at his exit. Use some boards or bricks to funnel hm into the door. Bait with fish or fruit.

Once you have him caught, do what you need to do. Just remember to follow any applicable state game laws.

Old 03-23-2006, 02:25 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks guy's I will try some live trapping this weekend. Then take him for a ride if you know what I mean.
Old 03-23-2006, 07:22 PM

ORIGINAL: rcgerchow

Haven't trapped in years and have a big ole Possum holed up under my deck. He's driving my dogs nuts, how do I get rid of this guy ( I hope not female). I live in a subdivision and can't shoot him. I think he is feeding from a deer feeder I have set up behind my house and he finds things pretty comfortable.

Just a question. Why do you have a deer feeder in a sub-divided area???
Old 03-23-2006, 07:57 PM

hey a 220 conibear should work or a livetrap will too. have you thought about a bow? i got a possum o pry a year ago with a bow. silent and deadly lol.
Old 03-24-2006, 05:19 PM
Fork Horn

We are at the back of a sub that backs up to undeveloped wetland park about a mile or so square and there are some great looking deer back there. I don't hunt the area because you can't shoot a firearm in the township and bowhunting it would be just my luck to have to drag a deer off someones back deck. So I feed and watch them.
Old 03-25-2006, 06:37 PM
Nontypical Buck

rc - Some of my best bow places are just like that. Careful shot placement and you have the best of the best. Heck everyone wants to drive to the "big woods", I hunt em at the house. Biggest deer around, live right in your backyard.
Old 03-28-2006, 11:12 AM
Nontypical Buck

Hit him w/ some cat food and sardines. You'll have him the next a.m. when you check the trap
Old 03-31-2006, 09:58 AM

I would say let the dogs go under the deck.. I wouldn't worry too much about the dogs getting bit cuz those possums always play dead after the intitla bite by a dog. then just throw him away in a trash bag in the garbage.

Quick Reply: Possum help??

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.