Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Demo Mink set pans out

Old 02-23-2006, 11:51 AM

Default Demo Mink set pans out

I have trapped for about 15 years and I just don't have the time to run a line like I used to. i used to have about a two mile long line for everything there was to trap in the area. Once I got it set I would check the line from horse back everyday. Too bussy with work and a family now though.

Anyways, I have a 10 year old son, 11, 14, and 2 year old daughters the two oldest girls and my son are all interested in getting into trapping. I was showing them how to make a blind set for mink or muskrats with a 110 conibear in a little run off in the back yard that is from a natural spring up in the woods behind my house. No sign or nothing and didn't really look like a place i would have set in the past but it worked good to just show them the ropes. I set the trap told them we would check it in the morning. We get out there and there is a big buck mink in the trap. Who figured? First mink in a couple of years and it was great to see the kids get excited when they saw there was something in the trap after only one night.
Old 02-23-2006, 06:25 PM

Default RE: Demo Mink set pans out

I dont mean to jack your post but where can you get conibear traps?
Old 02-23-2006, 06:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great story! Maybe with the yougun's getting interested you could get back into it yourself with them. What a great way to spend some time with the kids in the outdoors and the whole family benefits. Good luck!!
Old 02-23-2006, 06:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: ALhunter15

I dont mean to jack your post but where can you get conibear traps?
There are a lot of places to get traps and the prices are pretty close no matter which one you use. I have used Funke Trap Tags for several years with good service. Don't let the name fool you as they carry a full line of trapping gear. They have an online catalog at www.funketraptags.com There is a guy in Ohio that makes Round Body Grip Traps (RBGs) as wellhe makes a good trap for reasonable prices. I lost his email information when my computer went T/U a while back but if you do a quick search on the internet you should be able to locate him. There is an outfit in Connecticut as well that provides good service, again I don't have their email information but you can look them up easily by searching for Wildlife Control Supplies.
Old 02-24-2006, 06:24 AM

I used to buy all my trapping supplies from a catalog some old timmer gave me - a place called michigan Trappers Supply - I don't have the magazine anymore and i tried to google the name and got nothing - It's been a few years and I am not sure if they are even around any more.

I get most everything i need now from a local guy. A place called the Grizz Shop - Guy really knows his stuff. Big into black powder and trapping. Makes alot of his own stuff in his shop and gets alot of things from wholesale auctions - Prices are better than anyone I have found but He doesn't have a website and I am not sure if he even has a catalog.

As for getting back into trapping goes... that is what i am hopping for. If the kids stay interested I would be more than happy to show them how to get their lines going and get one of my one going too.