Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Rabbit trapping

Old 02-05-2006, 06:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Rabbit trapping

A buddy of mine has been trying to trap rabbits w/ a care-a-lot trap or have-a-heart or whatever it's called. Any tips (trap setup, what bait, etc.) for trapping these smart critters?
Old 02-05-2006, 12:05 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Rabbit trapping

There was a post on this before....ill give you the link

http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1378169

GOOD LUCK!
Old 02-05-2006, 12:38 PM

http://www.m4040.com/Survival/Skills/Hunting%20and%20Snaring/Snares/Rabbit%20Snare.htm

other variation
Old 02-05-2006, 12:52 PM

another..CAREFUL with this one.[&:]

Old 02-05-2006, 12:55 PM

With that last one thats not actually a stick going up through the middle, its just to show where the game trail would be. These are "primitive snares" that I sometimes build to catch rabbits. Both will kill the rabbit. However, I would only use these if your on a tight budget or do not have access to a modern day trap.

For bait you can use just about any vegetable. Celery, apples, carrots etc...I've even found deer feed sometimes works.

Good luck
Old 02-06-2006, 04:51 AM
Nontypical Buck

Thanks for the replies. I should have specified that he wants them alive, will be using live traps... Any more ideas?
Old 02-09-2006, 06:30 PM

Ooooooh...alive!well in that case...

I'd have to say a trap with both sides open and thetrigger in the middle would be the best. Im not sure if you have a Gander Mountain over in Virginia but if you do then I'm sure you could find one there. Otherwise just about any outdoor shop'll have one.

Like I said before, just about any vegetable will work for bait. Make sure you lead them in though with some bait just outside the trap door and then bigger pieces inside.

If your going to be using an open ended trap then I would suggest placing them directly on a rabbit trail because they'll most likely just run through it not even taking notice of the bait. If only one end of the trap is open however, then I would suggest either A) putting the open end close to a rabbit hole/den or B) placing next to a game trail angling towards it.

I suppose most of this stuff is kind of rudimentary but there really isn't much to trapping rabbits.

Finally..theres the ever-popular "Bait and Tranq." where you bait the rabbits in and tranquilize them.

G'luck
Old 02-09-2006, 07:49 PM

I drew a picture in paint how tocatch thembut it won't let me post it. Says it isn't supported. How can I get it to post?

[/align]
Old 02-10-2006, 04:32 PM

Open up your picture and then go to file and click Save As. Under the box where it asks what you want to save it as theres a drop down menu. Click the arrow and there should be lots of letters listed...BMG, JPG etc...click on the JPG and then click save. Come onto here and in the reply box at the bottom it says "Embed picture in post" Click in the box next to it and then click the underlined "Click here to upload!" This will bring up a box with an option that says Browse. Click the browse button and then it should bring up all saved pictures. Scroll down untill you find yours and double click on it. Then click OK in the box with the browse menu. It should now say File Uploading. If it stops and says file exceeds limit then you need to go back to paint or whatever and scale the picture down. Re-save it under JPG and repeat above steps.

Hope that helps
Old 02-10-2006, 04:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use to have several sizes of those Hav-a-hart live traps when I was a kid. I trapped everthing from mice and shrews to raccoons and opossums. Just reading your post brought back lots of memories. I use to catch lots of rabbits using sliced up apples for bait. The traps I had, had openings at both ends.I think the ones they make today only have one open end. Try using some sliced apples for bait and put the trap along the edge of some brush or in areas with lots of briars and brush. its better to set the trap back in the thickets than to put it in the middle of an open field. Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Rabbit trapping

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.