HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Single shot .223 (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/130958-single-shot-223-a.html)

Hotburn76 01-29-2006 08:11 PM

Single shot .223

Hello all, I have been thinking about geting a .223 and was considering getting a single shot, only to keep cost down. Then if I like long range varmit hunting maybe invest money into a semi auto or bolt action. Do you guys have any good ideas for a good single shot? I seen wal-mart had a Braztec for 140 bucks but was unsure about it. Thanks for the help!

toadder 01-29-2006 08:49 PM

RE: Single shot .223

i don't know a single shot would be good if you are trying to keep the cost down but you could get a cheaper bolt action and could go for those long rangers you were talking about. i would go for a bolt action. but thats just me

take-em 01-30-2006 07:16 AM

Single shot rifles are great for the price. I have a rossi .243 and I absolutely love it. I suggest getting either a NEF or a Rossi. They are accurate and they are light so you can carry them over long distance easily. And they are extremely reliable. Theres not much to go wrong on them because they don't have that many moving parts.
hope this helps

take-em

missed_another 01-30-2006 08:36 AM

i have a H&R handi-rifle .223 that shoots pretty good out to 200 yards. i also have an H&R ultra varmint .223 with the 24 inch heavy barrel and thatgun shoots super good. you can break clay birds all day long at 300 plus yards with that thing. about all i did to the ultra was a trigger job which is a pain with a single shot but it was worth it. very happy with that gun. i think i paid around $250.00 for it new. :)

North Texan 01-30-2006 10:36 AM

If you think you may end up wanting a bolt-action, my suggestion would be to go ahead and get one. Everybody needs a .223 or similar caliber in their gun cabinet. If you want a semi-auto, you are going to have to shell out some serious bucks for an AR-clone, when you can buy a good bolt-action and equip it with a scope and still have money left over for ammunition.

Whatever you get, be prepared to shell out some $$$ for a decent scope. Optics are very important for varmint hunting, and without them your gun is nothing more than an expensive stick.

greasypig 01-31-2006 08:05 PM

I would have to agree, a Savagebolt action is relatively inexpensive, butlike Tex, varmint/predator hunting is all about optics. If you can't see it, you can't shoot it. Buy the best optics you can afford and then you will be happy with what ever gun you decide to buy.

Wild Outdoorsman 02-01-2006 03:48 AM

I have two H&R single shots. A .223 & .22-.250 both shoot well. I would recommend a good scope also. I have a Bushnell 3200 elite mounted on both. Both guns fully equipt ran me less then $525 each. You can also get a Savage with the Accu-trigger for around $500 without anything added. I have two of these in .243 and .300wsm both are tack drivers with Leopold Vari-X scopes in 3x9. Perfect for deer and any biggame.

Back to the subject, get a single if that is all you can afford. It's a great rifle for varmints. I have the Flute Varmint with bull barrel and adjustable stock. I feel Like Carlos Hathcock the sniper when I shoot that little gun.