Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

204 Ruger or ? for Coyotes/Bobcats

Old 01-14-2006, 12:54 PM

Default 204 Ruger or ? for Coyotes/Bobcats

I currentlyhave a7mm-08 that could be used as a dual purpose deer& coyote/bobcat rifle, but no doubt it would be extremely fur destructive. I'm not that concerned about coyote fur but wouldn't want to destroy the possibility of a good bobcat mount by blowing it into pieces. So....I've have been thinking seriously about picking up a dedicated rifle for these twopreditors. I'm hunting NW Arkansas & SW Missouri where shots could be anywhere from up close & personal out to 300/350 Yds or so. None of the western varments (Pdog etc.) around here so we're primarilly talking about coyotes & bobcat.

I'm open to the 223, 22-250, 220 Swift andbetween these would probably be leaning a little closer to the 223; however, I've been reading a lot of good reports on the 204 Ruger. Most of these reports have related to accuracy, ballistics, etc. with not really that many reporting on actual "on-game" field performance (especially on coyotes/bobcats). I can easily see the 204 as an excellent performer on the smaller varments, but I'm just a little bitconcerned about the 204's performance on the bigger critters like coyotes.

Does anyone have any firsthand experience with the 204 Ruger on Coyotes and/or bobcats? If so, could you please share load/ammo used, shot distances, shot placement and how they performed. How many drop dead vs get up and run off?

If NOT the 204, then which caliber do you see at the top of the list for the hunting situation I've described and why?

Edit: PS, I do reload.

Thanks

firstshot
-------------------------------
Make your first shot count!
Old 01-14-2006, 02:34 PM

Default RE: 204 Ruger or ? for Coyotes/Bobcats

I usually hunt with my .308 on yotes, but I do own a .204 Ruger and it has taken many yotes since purchasing it. If I am skinning the yote, I don't use ballistic tips or polymer points. But if I can make a cruical judgement on the fur, on how it looks, then I can make a ammo choice. I always carry both Federal BT's and Match points (FMJ) with me, and have a choice on ammo loops on both guns. Generally here in central Cali, the summer coats 7 times out of 10 have signs of mange or being thin of nourishment. In the winter, i have been very lucky to have healthy yote furs that I have tanned out, all that have been taken with both the .204 and .308 match ammo. I load my own ammo, which I find rewarding big time, and where I can really choose whats best in powder, primer, and projectile.
Old 01-14-2006, 05:53 PM
Super Moderator

So how did the coyotes react to the ruger 204 when
They were hit ?

Did they drop on the spot or run and drop or run a long way,
Before dropping ?

How much fur damage comes from the 308 if any?

Thank You

Old 01-14-2006, 09:39 PM

When firing the .204, the yotes generally went on for under 40 yards with a sharp "yelp" when hit in the vital area, then finally dropped. With a general body shot in the vitals, there was no need for a follow up shot. I had some awesome body exit wounds with the 32 gr/40 gr Hornady and the Federal 39 gr. Sierra Blitzking, with some unfortunate miscalls on if the fur was good or not by judging through the spotting scope. I had great luck with my .308 in match grade FMJ with minimal exit wounds 95% of the time, and depending on the yardage from where the yote was hit. Between damage from the .204 to the .308, I have seen major bone damage with the 39 gr./40gr. if hit high in the vital area or rib area. Though, if for some reason I have hit the shoulder of the yote for some uncontrolled variable, the .308 obviously does more damage with the heavier bullet and gives enough knockdown for a shorter tracking. But, I use the .308 for yotes longer in yards when needed, to insure that there is no long tracking afterward. Both guns are great tools for varminting yotes, and have no problem with sticking either one on my quad when I am on the ranch or simply stalking them.
Old 01-14-2006, 11:21 PM

Hello firstshot. If I were going out to buy a new gun I would get a 22-250 if you reload. If you dont I would get the 223rem. The 22-250 kills them fast but you should reload to keep the cost down.I shoot both and either one would work great. The 204 Ruger shoots realy lite bullets fast but I think at 300 or more the bullets would get pushed around alot by the wind. Good luck.Jovan
Old 01-15-2006, 12:27 PM

Firstshot, I hope to let you know how the 204 does on yotes in about 3 weeks. I'am heading to my buddys place in south texas with the encore in 204 for 2 weeks of hunting and fishing. My buddy does not hunt, so i will give him the video camera, so i'am hoping on some go video.
Old 01-15-2006, 02:22 PM

ORIGINAL: gunnut2000

Hello firstshot. If I were going out to buy a new gun I would get a 22-250 if you reload. If you dont I would get the 223rem. The 22-250 kills them fast but you should reload to keep the cost down. I shoot both and either one would work great. The 204 Ruger shoots realy lite bullets fast but I think at 300 or more the bullets would get pushed around alot by the wind. Good luck.Jovan
Never had a problem with the wind thing with my .204. With the .17 HMR, a good crosswind of 10 mph would defiantely alter the trajectory, but with the .204 I would not have to worry too much because of the velocity and straighter trajectory.
Old 01-16-2006, 09:11 AM

Thanks to all for your comments/responses!!!

Looking at Remington & Federal factory ballistics, it looks like the 204 is somewhere between the 223 and 22-250 when using same weight bullets. The 204 does have superior wind drift resistance.

As far as reloading goes, there is a staggering variety of 22 cal bullets available. At the same time Midway shows 12 different bullets for the 204 withthe majority being made by Burger. I've heard good things said about the Burger 35 grn HP for fur friendly performance on coyotes.

Coyotestalker
At what yardage point do you make the decision to leave the 204 at home and take the 308? How has the 205 performed at ranges under 100 Yds?

gunnut2000
Because I'm interested in Bobcat, it's probably going to come down to a choice between the 223 & 204. I've heard that the 22-250 & 220 Swift can be very destructive on Bob's especially at closer ranges.

gutpile11
Good luck on your hunt! Hope you get some pics / video's, I'd love to see them. I also have an Encore and have been considering just getting another barrel for it instead of purchasing a new rifle. What kind of accuracy are you getting with your Encore 204?

firstshot
---------------------------
Make your first shot count!

Old 01-16-2006, 09:31 AM

[quote]ORIGINAL: firstshot

Coyotestalker
At what yardage point do you make the decision to leave the 204 at home and take the 308? How has the 205 performed at ranges under 100 Yds?

I really don't make a huge decision to leave the .204 home, it is whatever I have at the moment when I am on my property or neighboring ranches. I guess I would be taking my .308 when I reach past 300 yards, but I rarely do that. I always want my coyote dead with one shot and under a 40-50 yard tracking, and I can call them in under 200 yards 90% of the time, so either caliber would work. Although, if I am stalking up in the hills, I always bring my .308, because I have had close encounters, nothing been taken though thankfully, of black bear and cougar. The .204 has preformed great under 100 yards, with some tinkering with the scope to tweak the shot when I have had the rifle scoped out to 250 yards, and is great at getting ground squirrels that are barely peeking their heads out of their holes.
Old 01-16-2006, 10:56 AM

I too was thinking of getting a savage 16Fss this spring for small game likes chucks and coyotes etc...however i was at a local gun store this weekend and the .204 ammo was $15 for 20 rounds when the .223 was $5 for 20

Now i don't reload but was thinking into getting into reloading but i honestly don't shoot that much to justify the $400 for the reloading equip ment to where i can save money on the .204 when i can get about 80 boxes of .223 ammo for that same price before the .204 would start saving me money.

I love the writeups on the 204 and how flat it shoots but those couple extra inches past 300 yds seem awful expensive to me so i think that i gonna get a .223 instead. just my 2cents

Quick Reply: 204 Ruger or ? for Coyotes/Bobcats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.