Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Do yotes sound like dogs.

Old 12-31-2005, 01:14 AM

Default Do yotes sound like dogs.

A few friends and I went predator hunting tonight. After the 3rd series of calls we here a deep yip and know somethings coming in. Mind you we are in a field far from any houses. 30 seconds later 2 of them run out in front of us at 40 yards and stop. Look just like big coyotes. Same color, same build. Nothing gave any indication that they were anything but coyotes. Well my buddy shoots the one in the face and when he does it let out a deep throated BAAAARRR that a pet dog would make. It ran into the thicket and we're gonna look for it in the morning. Do coyotes make deeper noises like this or do they only make higher pitched yips. If this thing was someones pet dog its been cross bred with a yote somehwere in the line and it shouldnt have been back there anyhow without a collar. it was night and our lights were dieing so we're gonna go retrieve it in the morning.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:36 AM

Default RE: Do yotes sound like dogs.

When a coyote crosses with a domestic dog, it is called a Coydog. They are actually fairly common. I do however, know that coyotes will make almost any immigaginable noise when hit wrong. Be sure to look hard for the animal and if it does turn out to be someones pet then try to inform the owner. You would want to know if it belonged to you.
Old 12-31-2005, 08:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

If ya can't postively ID the target, don't shoot! From your discription, it sounds like you guys have some doubts about what you shot!!
BUT to your question, coyotes can make a lot of differant sounds, many of which some people can't tell the difference betweem domestic dog and coyote. So, yes it's possible that a wounded coyote can make sounds that sound like a dog!
Old 12-31-2005, 03:40 PM

ORIGINAL: Howler

If ya can't postively ID the target, don't shoot! From your discription, it sounds like you guys have some doubts about what you shot!!
BUT to your question, coyotes can make a lot of differant sounds, many of which some people can't tell the difference betweem domestic dog and coyote. So, yes it's possible that a wounded coyote can make sounds that sound like a dog!
I second that..
Old 01-01-2006, 08:36 PM

i looked hard and didn't find it. my buddies shotgun must not have enough behind it to take down a yote as we were actually fox hunting. the only reason i felt it may have been a dog is because of the sounds it made. it had all the physical characteristcs of a coyote, its not that we just shot at eyeballs. and quite frankly, i'm not really shook up if it was a dog because people need to learn to chain their animals up at night. there is no reason why they should be romaing free at midnight a mile away from the nearest house chasing deer. if it was a coyote, it probably got into the thicket and died. i hope so because they are becoming a pest here killing alot of turkey and young deer.
Old 01-01-2006, 08:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

if it didn't have a collar and/or registration tags on it then It's fair game in my book be it a coyote, coydog or a feral dog.