HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Crow Calling (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/125892-crow-calling.html)

buckhunter14 12-21-2005 09:58 AM

Crow Calling

I have a few questions about Crow Calling and may even answer them myself in my question but I don't know if they are exactly true. Your answers are appreciated.

When out deer hunting the past few weeks I have noticed many crows flying low overhead. This is mainly during my evening hunt. Now that deer season is done I would like to try, and approach hunting these Crows. I usually see 20-30 of them flying around going S. to N. for about 20 minutes. I have a very nice electronic caller and have called many crows in before but figured I just got lucky, I was in the right place at the right time?

Now for my questions:
[ul][*]Should I call them from their roost in the morning hours?[*]Call them too their roost during the evening?[*]Does it matter?[*]Are decoy's a key to success or just add some fun?[*]Is bait (food scraps, deer carcass, etc.) needed?[*]Any other helpful information or hints?[/ul]

duckdog132 12-21-2005 12:11 PM

RE: Crow Calling

i would like to second that question. i have been seeing alot as well here in central illinois and have wanted to hunt them but no nothing about it.
thanks Jeff S

Criggster 12-21-2005 12:42 PM

Crows can be some real fun during the off season. I mostly use a mouth call, but have had success with a homemade e-call. Anytime is a good time to call them except after dark. I have never used decoys, but have read alot about using decoys, food items, and ketchup to mimic blood stains on snow. If you can kill the first bird that flys by (the scout) sometimes the others will follow, and it can be some real fast shooting.

Be sure to use good camo, and don't move. Crows are like aerial turkeys they can see really well. One thing I've found is that after the first few pass bys they start to fly higher and out of range. So, get in a good shot while you can. I don't hunt them anymore because during the spring they have caused more than one gobbler to loose his head!

buckhunter14 12-21-2005 01:16 PM

Thanks, I might have to try that ketchup idea! :) Sounds like a great plan!

ohbowguy 12-24-2005 07:46 PM

I think it helps to be near roosting areas when calling early morning or late afternoon. They seem to like to roost in pine trees here in Ohio. We've tried the decoys with little success although I've read where others prefer them and even use owl decoys. Crows hate hawks and owls. We have noticed that crows usually come in too high or not far enough when we hunt in open areas. Anymore we try to pick spots where the overhead trees are somewhat brushy so the crows can't see well and come in for a closer look. Wear good camo, take lots of shells (high brass) and have fun!

missed_another 12-24-2005 08:12 PM

we always have crows inand around ourfields. but the best set-up around here seems to be with turkey decoys. we have about a dozen crow decoys that we place around the turkeys then sit back just inside the tree line with an e-caller.

buckhunter14 12-24-2005 09:49 PM

Well, things worked out perfectly! I ended up shooting a doe on Thursday so I left the gut pile near a plot of pines. Yesterday morning, me and a buddy got up about 7:30 and got out in the woods right at dawn. I hit that caller for about 45 minutes and had them coming through steady. Wasted 44 shells and shot 38 birds give or take 1 or 2... It was by far the best time I have had in a long time!!