HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   What do you think of Snares? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/123877-what-do-you-think-snares.html)

jhalfhill 12-05-2005 10:01 PM

What do you think of Snares?

My neighbor had a few so I set one up on a deer trail and caught a coon. It's just a 3 foot piece of 1/8" steel cable wire put together like a lasso. placed a branch over it so the deer would step over and not get their hooves caught in it. smaller animals go under the branch. it catches the prey by the neck, as they try to walk through it. anyone else use these? seems like it did a little damage to the hide around the neck area. anyone ever catch a yote or fox on one?

North Texan 12-06-2005 12:02 AM

RE: What do you think of Snares?

They are deadly on coyotes, but you've got to make sure your snare is set up over a coyote trail instead of a rabbit/deer/hog/etc. trail. Normally the coyote has his own beaten path. When you find it, then you need to place a little grass or broomweed or something along both sides so he won't see the snare and will naturally want to stick his head right through where the loop is. And it will damage the area around the neck a little because the coyote will flop and fight it until he wears out.

SPIKEHORN11 12-06-2005 05:51 AM

I've always wanted to try them but they are illegal in NY. I never understood why till my grangfather told me that back in the day guys were catching deer in them.

Tree climber 12-06-2005 07:03 AM

the problem with snares is ; you catch things you don't want. if there are any dogs in the area , I wouldn't recomend them.you don't want to catch someones pet.

Criggster 12-06-2005 07:34 AM

I used them some, but only caught a coon and a few possums' in them. Most of the folks around here use them in fence crossings to catch coyotes.

jhalfhill 12-06-2005 08:06 AM

you can catch someones dog in a leg trap too tho......my neighbor buys and sells cattle. when one dies he just tosses them in the weeds. i've seen peoples dogs chewing on them on numerous occassions, so if you lay out bait chances are a dog is gonna hit it too

Rammer 12-06-2005 01:09 PM

After this weekend (I will be done guiding pheasant hunters then) I am going to set out a snare line of around 100 snares. The new snares by law have to have a stopper on them so they don't snag deer by legs and stuff. Like North Texan said, you have to blend them in pretty good, and by putting weeds on either side of them coyotes shove their heads thru the gap and you have 'em.

I'll take some pictures of some of my sets once I get them up, and hopefully some pics of fox and coyotes in them as well!

North Texan 12-06-2005 03:19 PM

ORIGINAL: Criggster

I used them some, but only caught a coon and a few possums' in them. Most of the folks around here use them in fence crossings to catch coyotes.
I can't say I've ever seen one not used on a fence around here. It's just so much easier to get the coyote to go where you want him to go. And of course, it's easier to drive out the trapline because most fencelines have access roads.

mez 12-06-2005 03:33 PM

I have used a lot of them, absolutely deadly on coyotes. There are different kinds of locks on the snares and I have released several dogs from the relaxing type locks. Most domestic dogs will figure out real quick if they quit pulling they don't get choked and you find them there in the snare waiting to be let go.I use these types when the landowners have dogs that roam. No dogs around I like the Amberg lock, it won't relax and you will have a dead coyote or fox. With the relaxing lock most of them will still be alive as they figure out not to pull as well. You will get some chew outs with a relaxing lock though.

Spiffy 12-07-2005 12:45 PM

What I have heard of them they work great.