HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Coyote hunting with a .22LR? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/116333-coyote-hunting-22lr.html)

dogslayer 06-22-2006 07:11 PM

RE: Coyote hunting with a .22LR?

I'm guessing that most of the people who would use a .22lr on a coyote spend too much time in front of a screen and not enough in the field .

mightyoakwildlife 06-26-2006 09:20 PM

I useWinchester 40 grainlead solids, standard velocity "T-22" target ammo (XT22LR), as they leave very little pelt damage. After having shot SEVERAL HUNDRED coyotes with this round, usually from my S & W Model 17 revolver, with four inch barrel, I can honestly swear that EXACTLY seven have required more than one shot, and none of the others traveled more than four feet from where they were when I shot them. :) Oh, did I forget to mention that all the "one-shot kills" were in foothold traps,head-shot, at a range of less than three feet? Seven is the number of 'yotes I have had pull free as I arrived, in my 34 years of coyote trapping. By the way, I ended up killing & recovering only two of those seven! I've taken a couple coyotes with high velocity ammo in .22 LR, but I would NEVER advise anyone to try it, if at all possible. Until just a few years ago, the Dept. of Conservation here in New York required rimfire calibers (when using a rifle)for hunting over a light for varmints & predators. I used a .22 WMR for years, and learned the hard way that even the mighty 22 mag is on the wrong side of marginal. As for the .17 HMR, my partner/brother repeatedly tried toconvince me to bring mine outfor predators. He hasn't had the nerve to try it on coyotes yet, but I have finished three of his wounded foxes with my 12 gauge, and he has made guarenteed track stars of seven others (total 9 failures to stop). The .17 has droppedfive others, as if hit by Thor's hammer! If a bone got hit, the fox done split! PLEASE stay away from the little rimfires![:'(]

JoeRE 06-27-2006 11:01 PM

Everyone seems to be making it a bigger issue than it is. Just as some use handguns or archery for hunting and it increases the challenge, .22 can be used for coyotes, it just makes it harder. If you want to find the ones you shoot you must make head shots, and at closer ranges than a high power would be capable of. For a more efficent coyote killing setup don't use a .22, but there is nothing wrong with using one if you use it properly.

Rammer 06-28-2006 11:17 PM

I've shot many coyotes in snares in the brain with a 22, and I'd say 80% of the time they usually take another. I have shot and killed 2 coyotes on the spot with a 22 while calling at nite (it is not legal to use anything bigger than 22lr when calling in SD after dark with a light). So, in my experience. I would say, yes, it will them, are there better choices, Yes.

The 17HMR is not a better choice. I've seen what it does to big coons, badgers, skunks, etc, it very rarely anchors them even with a well placed shot.

North Texan 06-29-2006 06:24 AM

I used to shoot between 10 and 20 coons a week either in traps or in trees with a .22lr. Even at very, very close ranges, seldom was one shot enough to immediately kill them. A shot to the head would kill them most of the time, but I actually had one or two where the bullet failed to penetrate the skull. Now that was the exception and not the rule, but if it won't reliablydisable a coon less than one foot away, I really doubt it will reliably down coyotes at any range.

If it wasn't a head shot, the coon never went down on the first shot.

JoeRE 06-29-2006 09:01 PM

I have experienced the same with trapped coon but only when I was shooting at an angle toward the bone..their skulls seem to be very thick and rounded for their size and I would get poor penetration even with dead center bullet placement. I have never experianced this with any coyote, free or in a trap although granted I have shot many more coon. I think it is easier to get a flat angle impact on their larger heads....but once again, your bullet placement is head only, distances allowed have to be much more limiting and you definately want to at least be using hypervelocity solids...trust me coyotes can run a long way when even shot with something like a stinger square in the chest. There are easier ways of doing the job.

mavwreck1975 04-13-2007 11:00 PM

They certainly do have thick skulls. I used to have an junky old '86 Grand Marquis with a raccoon skull bolted in place of the hood ornament:D. I got into a pretty bad accident and plowed into an old nissan. My car was totaled but the raccoon skull somehow was not only intact but stull bolted to the crumpled front end of the car. It even left a distinct dent in the flattened trunk of the nissan. Wierdest thing I've ever seen.

jake smith09 04-14-2007 01:56 PM

It can be done like everyone else said but i wouldnt use one. I typically use a .223, that or a .22-250 does the trick.

ilovehoyt17 04-21-2007 04:19 PM

I would have to say no to hunting coyotes with a 22, other than maybe a 22 mag. iv only hunted coyotes for 3 years, im 17, and i dropped one of many coyotes with my AR15 52 gr. solid on a frontal shot, it laid there, then got up and ran? 22s have a very limited range and are affected by crosswinds more so than most loads. just today i shot my AR15 at about 550 yds open sighted and was very impressed with accuracy of the rifle at such a great range. 22-250s and 223 are a great size of a bullet and has minimal pelt damage

Howler 04-21-2007 05:20 PM

Using a "52 gr. solid" and getting great impressive accuracy at 550 yards along with minumal pelt damage doesn't mean much, if it doesn't keep them on the ground. I'd suggest using an expanding bullet next time, might have some pelt damage, BUT at least you'll kill the coyote!