Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Coyote hunting with a .22LR?

Old 10-18-2005, 07:49 PM

Default RE: Coyote hunting with a .22LR?

Howler, on cci's website they say that that bullet is made for foxes and yotes i aint sayin go out and try it i was just sayin that if you are i would use those...and they do work i shot a fox lastnight at 65 yards in neck and droped him straight in his tracks. It went in one side of his neck and out the other. You cant tell me i couldnt a yote with my .22 even tho ive never tried.
Old 10-19-2005, 07:48 PM

I shoot 3 last weekend with a 22lr i use the quick shok they are segmented and shot them all at about 45-50 yrds dropped them dead.
Old 10-22-2005, 08:55 PM

As a general rule, most of the coyote hunters I know or have followed on the various forums recommend a .223 and above. The majority of the replies on this thread discourage using a .22lr for coyotes for good reasons. IMHO a "clean" kill would be the exception, rather than the rule - but that's just me.
Old 10-23-2005, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yip, you're right, the cci web does say that they are good for "varmints upto coyote", BUT they doen't even know a coyote is not a "varmint", it is a predator, and a darn tough one at that. And I never said that they wouldn't work neither, BUT I do say you will loose wounded coyotes if ya shoot at a fair number of them. It's funny, I use a 22-250 and seldom "drop them in thier tracks" with it, I wonder how it is that a much lesser rifle ammo combo. does it every time?
Old 10-24-2005, 06:47 PM

Howler, you don't think those who do it "every time" might exaggerate just a little, do you? Or they could be extremely lucky or exceptionally good. After 25 years as a wildlife officer, I sometimes found a slight difference between what was said and what was done
Old 10-24-2005, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

TN, we all know that about anything is possible, heck I shot a coyote when I was a teenager(20 odd years ago), while rabbit hunting back on the farm with my 'ol Marlin 22 lr. I was walkin' the shelter belt around the house when the coyote came running by. I got 3 shots off at it, never knew I even hit it. BUT there was snow, a lot of snow because school had been cancelled that day, and when I got on his tracks I eventually found a couple drops of blood. I followed his tracks about 200 or so yards, and found him piled up. If it weren't for the snow, I never would've known I even hit him. These little tiny bullets, including the 17 HMR. have a following that have done, heard of it being done, or know someone that has done it, killed 'em all right in thier tracks so it must be so! Seems so many people gotta see it for thiemselves, so they try it once, it works, so they believe from then on that the 22lr and the 17 HMR are coyote killing machines! For everyone one story that is positive about the tiny bullets, there are a couple of storys negative and only time and experience will they learn!
Old 10-24-2005, 08:27 PM
Dominant Buck

I shot over 250 rds of these over the week-end @ 75yds
at 2 liter bottles filled with water and when the bullet hit
the bottles with the caps screwed on, the caps blew off
the bottles as the bullet hit them, caused by the energy
transfer on impact. I am sure it will kill a coyote!

Old 10-25-2005, 04:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

SO now we are comparing coyotes to two liter bottles full of water!![]
I shot nearly two full bricks of that same 17 HMR ammo. this summer at prairie dogs, and what they do to prairie dogs is NOT that impressive. It killed most of them out to nearly 200 yards, BUT some of them were able to drag themselves back to thier holes!!
The 17 HMR is NOT going to leave a blood trail on a coyote, so ya darn well better "drop it in it's tracks" or ya better have tracking snow, otherwise, coyote be gone!!
Old 06-22-2006, 11:33 AM
vts

I shot a "wild" dog once ho had the scabies at 15yards with CCI minimag.
The first bullet hit close to the heart. but i had to finhis him of with a neck shoot. I'm guesing that he was approx 50pound.

I don't think a 22lr is efective on a coyote. It will do at colse range and/or whit a perfect hit.
Old 06-22-2006, 01:01 PM
Banned

Sure within reason. No long shots and proper shot placement. Butchers have killed millions of 1000 lb cattle with a single .22 bullet to the head. There are better choices though. .223 and 22.250 are a couple.
HCH[/align]

Quick Reply: Coyote hunting with a .22LR?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.