HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Black Fox Squirrel (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/113210-black-fox-squirrel.html)

Criggster 09-17-2005 11:07 AM

Black Fox Squirrel

I went out today and scouted for deer and squirrel hunted. I killed three gray squirrels, and started down the hollow. At the base of the hollowI heard two barking. I sat down on a big log to rest and wait to see ifI could spot them. After about four minutesI saw one coming down the hill towards the hollow. I looked through the scope and saw that he had a black head. I shot twice and missed and he kept running closer. Then I noticed he was really black in color. He ran up on a dead tree that was leaning over and stopped. I could only see himfrom the front legs back. I aimed whereI thought his head should be and fired; it rolled down the hill. I ran up to get it and found that it was black from head to toe on the underside, but the rest of it looked like a regular fox squirrel. This color phase isreally rare here in VA. I have hunted for 16 years, and this is the first one I've killed that was this color. I tore him up pretty bad; I grazed him under the belly and squarely hit the opposite front leg. I was using Rem. PSP .22 mag. I took some 35mm pictures and tried to contact the taxidermist to see if he can still mount him. I"ll try to post some pics.

SPIKEHORN11 09-17-2005 04:01 PM

RE: Black Fox Squirrel

great job!! I have only shot one black squirrel in my life.

live2hunt743 09-18-2005 04:56 PM

i think the gray vs. black squirrel ratio out here is somewhere along the lines of 4:1 so black squirrels aren't all that rare.

DearSlayer357 09-18-2005 04:57 PM

I've shot close to 50 blacks but I have never seen or heard of anything like that.

hotgunner21 09-19-2005 02:10 PM

when i got up to michagan every year the squirrels are almost all black on our property, i kill tons of them, they must be different species tho. Nice job- mounted blacks look sweet-especially when you can get a partial limb mount.

I-B-trapperDave 09-19-2005 03:05 PM

22 Mag? No wonder :D

webejonesin2 09-21-2005 06:47 PM

i have a question, what is a fox squirrel? I've seen them mentioned just currious on what they were.i've seen a red and grey, but cant say i've ssen a black one either.

Swede 57 09-21-2005 08:57 PM

RE: Fox Squirrel

Description The largest tree squirrel. 3 color phases: in northeastern part of range, gray above, yellowish below; in western part, bright rust/red below; in South, black, often with white blaze on face and white tail tip (in South Carolina, can be black with white ears and nose). Large, bushy tail with yellow-tipped hairs. L 17 7/8–28" (454–698 mm); T 7 7/8–13" (200–330 mm); HF 2–3 1/4" (51–82 mm); Wt 17 3/4–37 1/2 oz (504–1,062 g).

Similar Species Eastern Gray Squirrel is smaller and has silvery-tipped tail hairs.

Breeding Litter of 2–4 young born late February–early March, sometimes June–July, occasionally August–early September. 2-year-old females may have 2 litters per year. Gestation about 45 days.

Habitat Woods, particularly oak-hickory; in the South, live oak and mixed forests, cypress and mangrove swamps, piney areas. 1 or 2 tree holes per acre (.4 ha) are needed for good habitat.

Range Eastern U.S. (except New England, most of New Jersey, extreme w New York, and n and e Pennsylvania); east to Dakotas, ne Colorado, and e Texas. This species has also been introduced to various places outside of its native range, now occuring in many locations along the west coast.

Deleted User 09-23-2005 11:06 AM

[Deleted]

[Deleted by Admins]

webejonesin2 09-23-2005 07:16 PM

RE: Fox Squirrel

Thanks for the discription.