Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Mountain Lion Season

Old 08-29-2005, 08:28 PM

Default Mountain Lion Season

Mountain Lions are expanding guys!

I think South Dakota has the right idea. What do you guys think?

---------------------------------------------------------
08/29/2005 SD Mountain Lion Season Made Official

The final word came on the first-ever mountain lion season in South Dakota. State lawmakers who serve on the Legislature's Rules Review Committee endorsed a set of rules that establish the hunt, doing so on a vote of four-to-two.

That means hunters can begin stalking the big cats on October first in the Black Hills. A quota of 25 lions has been set, but the season will end whenever five breeding-age females have been killed. Hunters must report kills within 24 hours to the Game, Fish and Parks Department.

Opponents argued that the data do not support a hunting season for mountain lions, and they worry that the species will be hunted to extinction in South Dakota.

Officials say about 145 mountain lions roam the Black Hills.
© 2005 Associated Press.
Old 08-30-2005, 11:55 AM
mez
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Mountain Lion Season

I know they have the right idea. The game and fish put it off as long as they could but they have a real problem in the hills. Where you from Swede? To go from no season to 25 cats is a big statement I think. They have been hunting them right across the line in WY for years and they only allow 10 as of last year. Not sure about this year. I've only been gonefrom the hills area for a year but they were having some major problems when I left. They had a young tom get into a house in Spearfish and killed two or three house cats while the people were home.
Old 08-30-2005, 08:12 PM

"Home" is eastern South Dakota - 50 miles NW of Sioux Falls. Currently working in Minnesota but certainly looking forward to Pheasant hunting this fall in SD. Numbers are said to be the best in 40 years. Wow!

I don't think they want too many cats in the Black Hills. Tourism is a HUGE industry there and I don't think they want Cats wandering around campgrounds.

Old 08-31-2005, 05:00 PM
mez
Nontypical Buck

I lived in Belle Fourche for 6 years. The camp grounds aren't what they have to worry about, they have the things in town all the time. Numerous confirmed sightings in Rapid, Custer, Keystone, Spearfish, Belle, it was getting a little out of hand. The game and fish has shot several problem lions the past few years and low and behold they were all healthy young cats not old and decrepit animals that couldn't catch anything to eat.
Old 08-31-2005, 08:41 PM
Fork Horn

Where is there more information on this? i just the SD game and parks site and theres nothing on it......
Old 09-01-2005, 09:30 PM

Check out the page at - http://www.sdgfp.info/GFPnews/News05/08-15-05.htm