HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Where to PrarieDog hunt? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/110401-where-prariedog-hunt.html)

daystalker 08-26-2005 05:04 AM

Where to PrarieDog hunt?

Im pretty new to the Vamint world, but im am ADDICTED already!

I just wanted to know where I could find good information for prariedog hunting, I live in Illinois, and wanted to take maybe a 4 day weekend and drive to south dakota, but i heard that Iowa has good prarie dog hunting also...

where is teh best prarie dog hunting and do you guys use guide services or do you just camp out?
Camping doesnt bother me I woudl rather camp out and go out loking for my own prarie dogs to hunt. :)

any sugestions would be greatley appreciated.

Thank you
Daystalker

Little Bow Man 1 08-27-2005 08:12 PM

RE: Where to PrarieDog hunt?

If you go to South Dakota you will be at a bechrest all day. You realy don't need to
go hunting for them. Drive around and look for a parrie dog and about 99% of the time
there is a Parrie dog town there.So camp out and bring TONS of ammo to shoot because you will have a field day.

Illinois hunter 08-29-2005 08:02 PM

Stalker, Iwent to Valentine S. Dakota for my first varmint hunt a couple years ago. I couldnt have asked for a better time. LOTS of dogs there. We planned on hunting the Indian reservation, but thier fee ended up being too much. We ended up asking some local ranchers ( they hang out in the cafe in the mornings) for hunting rights. They were happy to let us shoot all day for free. I shot around 250 rounds in 2 &1/2 days.

SuperMagnum 09-09-2005 07:46 PM

Anywhere in western nebraska or Sd will have them. Like everyone said, you will be benchrest all day as there's soo many all over. I don't know what the fee is at the Pine Ridge and Rosebud reservation, but I passed through both on my way home from shooting in Neb and there were dogs all over, even in the front yards of the houses, in town, etc so you shouldn't have any problems finding a spot there and may be worth looking into. Also, like everyone said, just drive around looking for dog towns and go to the owner's house and ask them or go to the gas station or coffee shop and I guarantee you they will almost always say go ahead as I haven't gotten a no yet and even tell you of more spots. Illinois hunter, I got you beat, the first time I went out to Neb near the Sd border I found a huge town and I and my buddy ended up shooting up all our ammo of 250 rounds each in just 4 hours, yes there were that many and dumb to boot. The second time, we went for 3 days and shot up 650 rounds each as it slowed down in the hot summer. I wish there were PDs in Iowa, however, there aren't, otherwise I would have slayed them all by now hehe.

P.S. you will have a blast, I know I did.