Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > General Hunting Forums > Small Game, Predator and Trapping
 More success on squirrels with .22 or 12 gauge shotgun? >

More success on squirrels with .22 or 12 gauge shotgun?

Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

More success on squirrels with .22 or 12 gauge shotgun?

Old 08-09-2005, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: More success on squirrels with .22 or 12 gauge shotgun?

Tree Climber said the 22 mag may be overkill. I just want to be assuccessful as possible, while still having edible meat that isn't all shot up. I am also looking at this thread for ideas on what gun to get for the following years. When those leaves are off the trees, rifles will give me more range than the 12 gauge, and I might go with a Ruger 10/22, 22 mag or .223 or something. The first response made a lot of sense, going with the 12 gauge at first while the leaves are on the trees since I will have limited sight anyway (i.e. almost everything I am able to see should be in range of the shotgun).

Thanks to everyone for all the responses!
Old 08-10-2005, 09:16 PM
Nontypical Buck

i think the12 is too big, to many pellet holes. and if you get one a little to close you'll end up with hamburger meat. to me the perfect rabbit and sqirrel guns are the .410 and .22 lr. or better yet, an over and under .410- .22
Old 08-11-2005, 05:51 PM
Fork Horn

if you have no other choice a 12 will work you just have to go with smaller shot and if possible pull your aim slightly to the side... by this i mean do not aim center mass on the tree rat but put you sight just in front of his nose.
Old 08-19-2005, 01:58 PM
Fork Horn

A 12 guage is fine, I have used one for years and know a lot of folks who hunt squirrels with a 12 guage.

#6 shot, and don't take any shots that are too close. If I have one that nearly runs across my lap I wait for it to get 20 yards away.

I also pattern my 12 guage to get an idea of the spread at varying distances - no different than preparing to hunt turkey. That helps me a lot with avoiding pellets in the body.
Old 08-19-2005, 04:56 PM
Spike

I agree, 12 is fine. Its always my standard to down-size weopons as the season progresses or as i improve. I personally love my Rem. .410 pump shot. But i love the challenge of the .22. Thats the largest caliber that i would use
Old 08-28-2005, 02:10 PM

yeah, i second whoever said the 243 is overkill, plus it isnt safe to shoot it upwards...
Old 09-02-2005, 10:49 PM

I use a .410 every year when I go out for my traditional "first hunt" of the season ... Labor Day. There are too durn many leaves for the 22 yet. After that, I typically don't get out until at least mid-October and I switch to the trusty Ruger 22. I admit I enjoy it either way, but the challenge of the 22 is a lot of fun.
Old 09-04-2005, 12:23 AM

I have a Ruger 10/22T with a 4-12x40 on top of it. I plan on killing a ton of squirrels with it this year, and for many years to come (if I get many years to come lol). If you want your kids to enjoy squirrel hunting, you should get them some squirrel printed targets, you can find them in most gun shops and online, and let your kids shoot the 22LR at the targets and when they get good at head shots, THEN you should take them squirrel hunting. Kids have a ton of fun shooting at targets and when they finally get to kill squirrels for real not only will they be ready but they will enjoy the experience thta much more.
Old 09-09-2005, 07:03 PM

I like using my 22 with a scope and only make head shots up to 50 yards. If the squirrels are skittish and always moving then the 12 ga would work the best, but I've found that it causes too much blooshot meat making it worthlesss.
Old 09-09-2005, 10:33 PM

I would definitely go with the 12 ga. This time of year, the rats are in the tops of the trees and usually don't come down. The nuts haven't fallen, and they have no reason to. Their up their in the leaves bouncing around from limb to limb. And as far as the shot goes, once you skin the rat, you can see where each one went in and pick it out after you have cleaned it. I'm using a 20 ga. right now, and will switch to the 22 or 17 later on in the season when the leaves drop, and they start to come down. Good luck, hope ya nail a bunch of them. We already have eaten quite a few, and have 22 in the freezer. And I'm going hunting sat. and sun.

Quick Reply: More success on squirrels with .22 or 12 gauge shotgun?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.