HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Small Game, Predator and Trapping (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping-12/)
-   -   Squirrel hunting better in afternoon or morning? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/small-game-predator-trapping/107959-squirrel-hunting-better-afternoon-morning.html)

DougMD 08-06-2005 08:54 AM

Squirrel hunting better in afternoon or morning?

Or does it matter. Got my two younguns I'll be taking this year, and don't know if I can get them up early, but will definately be able to hunt the afternoon. If squirrel hunting is that much better in the morning, however, I will make an effort to get them out there then. I don't expect them to have the patience to hunt very long, but want them to experience some action to get them hooked on hunting rather than wanting to stay at home and play video games, etc.

sour01 08-06-2005 09:05 AM

RE: Squirrel hunting better in afternoon or morning?

I will have to say that I have always had better luck first thing in the morning. I have gotten plenty of squirrels in the afternoon---but the times that I have gotten my limit have always been in the morning. If you can find a couple of good hickory or pecan trees that they are working then the afternoon might work out for you. But since most hunting is about being in the woods early and you are trying to teach your young'ns about hunting---you would be well served to get 'em up early for some good bushy tail hunting.

deerslayer223 08-06-2005 11:53 AM

I've killed my fair share both times of the day. although anymore i am finding myself more of a morning bushytail hunter. either time of the day is good though. i started my hunting career with many squirrel hunts i used 2 be antsy to and unsuccessful but squirrel hunting taught me some valuable patience now i kill squirrels pretty much every trip to the woods with the ol' 22.

kevin1 08-07-2005 07:22 AM

Early morning is when I've always seen the most squirrels , especially early in the season because of the heat.The only other time I ever see more tree rats than early morning is after I've entered the woods with deer in mind ... ;)

DearSlayer357 08-07-2005 08:45 AM

I've killed most of mine in the morning. But I have killed a few in the evening as well.

skinnerdawg 08-07-2005 05:51 PM

i preffer to hunt in the morning but i have also had a lot of luck during the afternoons

DougMD 08-10-2005 07:27 AM

Ridge Runner, yes, fox squirrels are in the area, as well as grays. So you say grays usually come down first, right at the crack of dawn? Thanks very much for the info on times and what to expect!!

Tree climber 08-10-2005 07:36 AM

I have always found the morning is best. I guess bacause they have been in there nest all night and are like us , ready fore that cup of coffee and donuts.find some good hickery trees or big live oaks with lots of nest in the area or a large cypress with holes in it and get there befor the first crack of light.
The afternoon is OK except they have already feed heavy in the morning and only want a snack in the evenings.if you find the cypress with holes,you can go there and wait till they come to there bed for the night.bushwack them befor they get to the hole.

I have sat at a bed tree and shot 7 or 8 befro dark. just shoot one and let him lay,in a few min. there will be nother and so on till black come.

DougMD 08-10-2005 09:14 AM

Great advice! I don't know of a cypress tree on the property ( I will look for some), but there are too many acorn trees to count. I CAN concentrate on the areas with the big, mature acorn trees that have open understories due to their large canopies, rather than the smaller, less fruitful oak treesin the thicker understoried areas (lots of smaller oaks in laurel thickets).

Also, there are only few white acorn trees, which may be a draw to squirrels in early October if they are dropping then. I know deer prefer white oaks to red and black, pin, etc. Do squirrels prefer white oak acorns too?

rile1564 08-10-2005 09:32 AM

If I'm archery hunting for deer, I see all kinds of squirrel in the morning. If I'm squirrel hunting, I rarely see any. Probably get about 3-4 a day, and that is hunting the entire day. I really haven't seen that much difference between the times of day while SQUIRREL hunting. Deer hunting I see all the squirrel in the world. Last year and the year before I was waiting in my stand while deer hunting.. must have seen 50 different squirrel. I packed it in around 10am, grabbed my old .22lr and went squirrel hunting. Between me and my buddy we saw/ got 1 squirrel.