Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Help Me Please!

Old 07-20-2005, 01:35 PM

Default Help Me Please!

Hey you hunters my name is diego and I wish to become part of the small game hunting community. Only problem is I have no rifle. I was hoping you more experienced hunters could instruct me as to what rifle I should be buying. I plan to kill pigeons, crows, iguana’s and maybe a little bigger animal like a chicken. I was thinking of buying a daisy 0.177 that has a speed of 750 fps. Do you guys think this rifle is good enough or do I need a 0.22? This is the biggest question I have since the daisy is much cheaper than any of the 0.22 and comes with a scope. Please help me I don’t want to buy the 0.177 and then not be able to hunt anything. Thanks in advance.
Old 07-20-2005, 02:38 PM

Default RE: Help Me Please!

I have a winchester that is .177 cal. and rated at 800fps . I have killed many rabbits with it . With the small caliber guns shot placment is critical . Sight it in so you can be sure of head shots and you should not have a problem . On the other hand I have had much more problems killing birds - even with a .22 caliber firearm . It's like they don't even know they have been hit . And the heads are much smaller . Stay close to your game and get good enough to shoot head shots befor you go hunting . Air rifles can do some things that a firearm cannot , esspiecally when over penatration or missed shots is an issue . Happy hunting , post some pics after you get one of those lizards .
Old 07-20-2005, 02:47 PM

Thanks man
I live in puerto rico and there are some huge iguana's. Some poor country people even eat them like chicken fortunatley I can eat a little better. Regarding the rifle you said the 0.177 was good enough? Also as for shot placement how much do I have to place the shot on a 0.177 versus a 0.22 how much of diference does it make. Should I spend the extra money or will I be just fine with the 0.177 I want to hunt birds. How good of a shot do I need with a 0.177? How good of a shot do I need with a 0.22? Thanks for helping man I am very eager to start hunting.
Old 07-20-2005, 03:25 PM

I can not say for sure about the .22 , I have had only one and it was for very long . A .22 at medium speed (about 600 fps ) will have more energy when it hits the target than a .177 at highr speed - say 750 fps . This is because the heavier pellet of the .22 is harder to stop than the light one of the .177 .With some practice I'm sure that you can place shots just where you want them . I prefer a faster pellet , I won't buy a .22 air rifle untill I can afford a really fast one . If you hit a good shot , it won't matter if you use the .22 or the .177 . There is a little more room for error with the larger pellet - but very little . Use a good pellet that you are familiar with and do some practicing , then I don't think you will have much of a problem . Unless you are trying to shoot too far , this is important - know your limitations . I hope this helped .
Old 07-20-2005, 06:13 PM

Thanks your help is very much apreciated. I will try to find a 0.22 with a medium speed like 600 fps for cheap if I fail in finding one then I will buy the 0.177 at 750 fps that I saw for like 45 bucks. What is the best online rifle store you know?
Old 07-20-2005, 07:18 PM

Best online store for that gun? Either Pyramydair or Airgun Express. However, for the price you are paying for that Daisy 901 pump gun, you can get this (the Tech Force 34). Solid hardwood stock, underlever cocking mechanism (one stroke coks the gun with no additional pumping), steel scope rails, 850 fps in .177 caliber, and decent 30 yard accuracy. $42.36 plus shipping. Gotta love the Chinese: http://www.compasseco.com/shop/products.html?maingroup=Tech%20Force%20Air%20Guns& amp;secondgroup=Air%20Rifles
Old 07-20-2005, 10:39 PM
Typical Buck

i agree with the above post. get the tech force 34.

as far as the difference in the accuracy that you need between the .22 and the .177.... what i have to say is that "if you can't hit them, you aren't going to kill them" someone else on this forum may talk about accuracy, but i don't think a quarter inch at 25 yards will much of a difference if you are shooting at "pigeons, crows and iguanas".

personally speaking, i have seen those animals at very close ranges to hotels and resorts that i've stayed at in mexico and the carribbean. you should have no problem with a .177, and i'm jealous of you.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:27 AM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: SifuSkyler

However, for the price you are paying for that Daisy 901 pump gun, you can get this (the Tech Force 34). Solid hardwood stock, underlever cocking mechanism (one stroke coks the gun with no additional pumping), steel scope rails, 850 fps in .177 caliber, and decent 30 yard accuracy. $42.36 plus shipping. Gotta love the Chinese:
I recently "donated" my Tech Force 34 to my Son for nuisance kitty control , good air rifle , very accurate . I've sniped 1" pieces of gravel with it at 25 yards .

Dammit ! Now I gotta buy a new one ...
Old 07-21-2005, 01:19 PM

Diego, if you are interested in learning more about airgun hunting, follow this link. It's a great forum that focuses completely on airgun hunting and tuning your rigs. The guys there are very helpful, and know their stuff (at least most of 'em, lol): http://www.network54.com/Forum/278708
Old 07-22-2005, 05:18 PM

diego, a .22 is much much more powerful than a .177 bb gun, but yo ucant just shoot .22's anywhere, you need land. a .bb gun you can shoot in your house. for rabbits and woodchucks etc. shot placement isnt all that critical witha .22 if you use the right round.

in my opinion dont use a airgun to hunt unless your a marksmen and can kill with one shot, other wise its not right.

also a .22 can shoot all different types of ammo that shoot at different velocities, for exmaple the you can shoot a real slow round (cci cb long) that shoots about 750fps, wich is slow, or you could get a round that shoots fast than 1600fps, all out of the same gun.

deff go with the .22. ive seen used semi autos for $75.

if you decide on the airgun get a expensive wooden stock oone.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.