Community
Small Game, Predator and Trapping From shooting squirrels in your backyard to calling coyotes in Arizona. This forum now contains trapping information.

Duck trapping question

Old 06-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Fork Horn

Default Duck trapping question

I am interested in either commercial traps for ducks or plans for making my own, both diving and puddle ducks. If any one has any information about making/buying one can you let me know, thanks alot.
Old 06-07-2005, 06:54 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Duck trapping question

Never heard of that except in survival books that teach you how to survive in any condition. What state are you in? I didn't think it was legal but I am probibly wrong.
Old 06-07-2005, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

i'm pretty sure it is illegal to trap ducks and other waterfowl in the U.S.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:18 AM
Nontypical Buck

Asfar as I know it is illegal, all waterfowl are federally protected game birds and can only be taken during prescribed seasons with prescribed methods and asfar as methods go the only one listed for waterfowl is by shotgun with non toxic shot pellet.
Old 06-08-2005, 06:57 AM

If you want ducks you have to purchase them from a breader and even he has to register his Ducks with the Feds My Dad did it for awhile. It has been awhile since then I don't think things have changed though, but for sure trapping them is a no no.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:49 AM
Fork Horn

Sorry i guess i should of been more specific. I live in Canada and these ducks are meat ducks purchased through the local breeder and raised on a private pond. The problem is they are skiddish and wont come close enoughto net and I would realy hate to destroy some meat with shot.
Old 06-08-2005, 04:31 PM
Nontypical Buck

A 22 round to the head and a lab would be my choice .

Johnch
Old 06-08-2005, 06:53 PM

build a funnel with fence and corral them(herd them in)
Old 06-08-2005, 08:08 PM

I saw one once,
a guy ask me if I wanted to go with him to check his trap,I though FISH trap(it was in a farm pond in Ga.) he had built one about 6' square x 3' high. it was on a float ( he had 2x4" on all four sides) with about 1' above the water.2' below the water. it had a funnel from the edger to the center of the sloped to about 2" below the water line. the hole was only anout 5" across.
He had it anchored so it wouldn't move.

he would put corn and peas in the water about the middle of the trap. the ducks would go down to get the feed and when they came up,they would come stright up , they would have to follow the funnel to the top and into the hole.
the hole was small enough that they couldn't find it to get back out.

you could make the trap as big as you wanted. I can tell you one thing, when you walk up to it ; it will scare the crap out of you if your not expecting it.10 or 12 duck trying to take off at the same time, is one heck of a noise.
Old 06-08-2005, 09:44 PM

The funnel & corral idea will work, but the .22 head shots and lab are more fun.

Quick Reply: Duck trapping question

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.