Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Tru glo shotgun sights >

Tru glo shotgun sights

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Tru glo shotgun sights

Old 11-15-2020, 03:27 PM
Spike

Default Tru glo shotgun sights

After accidentally gut shooting a NICE buck today(I looked for him for 9 hours today, didn't find him) I've decided to put some Tru Glo vent rib sights on my 870 21 inch "Turkey" barrel.(I don't have the money for a dedicated slug barrel)
I do have a scope mount and a red dot for it, however I feel that it takes away from the versatility of the gun(due to having to Re-sight every time I put it back on and its kinda hard to shoot at a deer while your sights turned off and I feel that optics are generally not needed anyway for the ranges I'm shooting which are less than 50 yards) What are everyone's thoughts on these. Are they worth they 25-50 bucks or are they a waste of money. As for chokes the choke I'm using is a Carlson's Rifled Choke tube.
Old 11-15-2020, 06:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a red dot on my coyote scattergun now, and have for several years, 10 by now maybe? But for many years before that, another 10 at least, I used a set of Truglo fiber optic sights on my vent rib. Worked great for me. I did use the version which used small screws to clamp to the rib, rather than the less expensive clip on type available at the time.
Old 11-20-2020, 01:28 PM
Boone & Crockett

Man Wildturkey I am usually not one to keep things inside so here goes. I believe you are saying you were deer hunting with slugs using a 21 shotgun barrel with just a bead front sight. Am I correct? If that's the case then IMO you shouldn't even have been hunting deer with it unless you were using buckshot AND buckshot was legal.
There is simply too much error using that kind of set up and we owe it to the game to make a humane kill. Yes even rifle shooters make errant shots as well as bow hunters. But to do this with a shotgun without sights is just wrong in so many ways.
And to make it worse is you already have the optics to put on the gun and didn't want to "waste" the money sighting it in. Now you went and wasted a perfectly good animal. Sorry but that is just despicable to me. I'm sorry you lost the buck. More for the buck than for you however.
Next time use sights.
Old 11-20-2020, 09:17 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a saddle mount on my 1100 (same as for the 870) and a Holo sight I use for Hogs. I can take it off and put the stock trigger pins back in and use it for birds, then switch back to the Holo sight and saddle mount without the point of aim moving any noticeable amount. I have an integral laser in my Holo sight that is a quick check when swapping the mount on and off.
I've used the Holo for birds also, the trick is to learn to shoot with both eyes open.
I had Tru Glo sights on my 1200 a long time ago, they weren't for me. A seemingly good idea that didn't work out in reality. When I'm hunting birds I instinct shoot for birds or Rabbits anyway, sights are kind of useless.
I think the lesson in this situation is to not cut too many corners on equipment, sighting, and practice. I for one spend a lot of time scouting and sitting, blowing a shot makes all the time spent scouting, sitting, waiting, or stalking wasted time. Where I hunt good shots are few and far between.
Old 11-21-2020, 04:46 PM
Spike

Originally Posted by bronko22000
Man Wildturkey I am usually not one to keep things inside so here goes. I believe you are saying you were deer hunting with slugs using a 21 shotgun barrel with just a bead front sight. Am I correct? If that's the case then IMO you shouldn't even have been hunting deer with it unless you were using buckshot AND buckshot was legal.
There is simply too much error using that kind of set up and we owe it to the game to make a humane kill. Yes even rifle shooters make errant shots as well as bow hunters. But to do this with a shotgun without sights is just wrong in so many ways.
And to make it worse is you already have the optics to put on the gun and didn't want to "waste" the money sighting it in. Now you went and wasted a perfectly good animal. Sorry but that is just despicable to me. I'm sorry you lost the buck. More for the buck than for you however.
Next time use sights.
You misunderstand. I had the red dot on my gun. Just sighted it earlier in the week. My guess is somewhere between my house and the stand it got knocked off center or the deer took a step right as I shot. And trust me I felt HORRIBLE about it and that deer wouldn't have been wasted if i was able to find it. I don't hunt for horns, I hunt for meat only and would never even THINK about taking a shot I wasn't sure of optics or not. The question was about if clamp on iron sights are worth the money or would I just be wasting money on something that's gonna fall apart when die to recoil.
Old 11-22-2020, 04:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

Oh OK that's a different story and the reason I put my second sentence in there. It's the way you worded your post.
The TruGlo sights are designed to be used on shotguns so if installed correctly won't move on recoil. All the ones I've seen attached to the rib on the shotgun. But I seem to recall ones way back when that clamped around the barrel much like a sling mount. But I haven't seen those in many years.
This looks like a good one from them available at Brownells. If you get the extreme and use the round aperture you can use for both deer and upland birds.
Old 11-24-2020, 01:45 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I have used the Magnum Pro. Highly recommend clamp on sites that allows you to set windage and elevation.
I have used those sights on a Remington 870, 11-87, Remi ton 1100 and a Benelli super eagle.
once dialed it I haven't had an issue.
JW