HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Cheek Weld (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/423471-cheek-weld.html)

bronko22000 05-24-2020 03:43 AM

Cheek Weld

1 Attachment(s)
This topic came up on my post about ring height and I thought I'd give you a good easy fix to those of you that have to have higher rings which make you not be able to settle in on your butt stock correctly. I've done this to both my Marlin 1895s (my Guide Gun and my 1895SBL).
Buy yourself one of those Uncle Mike's elastic cartridge holders for your butt stock. Then go to the pool section of your local Wally world and get a pool noodle. Cut off a length of the noodle about 2" shorter than the cartridge holder and cut it down the length of it. Now cut it down the length again removing about 1/3 section of the noodle. With a sharp knife or razor blade round off all the outer edges and stuff it under the elastic cartridge holder on top of the butt stock. Then position the whole deal on the butt stock where you need it.
If trimmed correctly you won't see the noodle at all and you'll have perfect alignment with your scope. The noodle won't slip around and will not absorb any water either and it is comfortable on your cheek.

Oldtimr 05-24-2020 06:40 AM

I never liked high mounts on a scope for the reason for this thread topic. Low mounts almost force you to get a good cheek weld and that is one less thing I have to think abut when I put the cross hairs on an animal. Your solution looks like it will work and there is no damage to the stock or unsightly after market attachment.

CalHunter 05-24-2020 07:44 AM

I think this is a clever idea Bronco. Besides, we can't go swimming during the lockdown anyway. :D

bronko22000 05-24-2020 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by Oldtimr (Post 4376205)
I never liked high mounts on a scope for the reason for this thread topic. Low mounts almost force you to get a good cheek weld and that is one less thing I have to think abut when I put the cross hairs on an animal. Your solution looks like it will work and there is no damage to the stock or unsightly after market attachment.

It's hard to see in the pics Oldtimr but those are low rings on both rifles. Its the nature of the beast that the bases are higher than they should be. The 1895SBL has a Picatinny rail on it so the rings just attached to that. The Guide Gun has a standard Weaver 1 piece mount base. I guess I could have gotten the scope a tad lower if I would have put on Talley mounts. But I just can't see paying their prices.

BTW if you look closely at the Guide Gun you'll notice it is ported. This is one of the early ones. My wife bought it for me after she saw me drooling over it at a gun show down in Florida back in 1999.

mrbb 05-24-2020 09:36 AM

I have had a few rifles with custom stocks for this reason, poor fit on OEM stocks when certain optic's are used

I have also found using SYN stocks I can build cheek pieces out of fiberglass too, more work than what your doing .

However, what I will tell you as I use them shell holders on a LOT of rifles and shotguns/muzzleloaders too(12 ga holders hold speed tubes for in-lines nicely)
But over time them elastic shell holders loose there holding power, some in just a yr or two, some longer,
so, if you wish to use this set up, be prepared that over time they will not hold as they do when new, in the off, season I even remove mine now

so a heads on on things there, as elastic just doesn;t age that well, and will fail

they also do make and sell some of these things in Leather, that you can adjust to hold longer too, if one wanted!.

Nomercy448 05-24-2020 11:32 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Think I’ve shared this one here several times over the last ~10yrs. It’s not a pool noodle, but rather high impact foam flooring pad, molded, shaped/trimmed, and wrapped in duct tape to hold shape, then slipped under a cheap Allen cartridge band.

Nomercy448 05-24-2020 11:41 AM

I summarized on this forum a few years some of the options I have used in the past - the last bullet, last but not least, is the Allen cartridge band + foam insert.

For any foam insert, run a few beads of silicon caulk on the bottom side perpendicular to the pad as it sits on the stock. Let dry before installing. This greatly reduces how much the pad will slide around on the stock.

I would add to my old list below, the variable height bolt on cheek riser offered by Victor Company USA. While functionally similar to the fixed height delrin risers I have used, the Victor product is a factory option with the versatility of adjustability.

Originally Posted by Nomercy448 (Post 4301046)
It doesn't make any sense to me to own a rifle and tolerate poor fit, whether it's length of pull, grip angle, trigger reach, cast, drop, or pitch. My stock should fit me, your stock should fit you. If you pick up your rifle, slam your face into a comfortable cheekweld with your eyes closed, when you open your eyes, your eye should be centered in the optic or in the sights. If it doesn't, the stock is wrong, and it should be modified.

For comb height, since different shooters may use the rifle, or the same shooter might use the rifle with iron sights, or with a low mounted scope, or with a larger objective, higher mounted scope, it typically makes sense to NOT buy a stock with a super high comb, limiting yourself to that ONE tall height. It's easy to build up a comb with temporary/non-permanent devices to make it taller, but impossible to temporarily shave wood/plastic/fiberglass from a comb to lower it.

I have cheek risers in one form or another on many of my rifles, and there are lots of options for how to accomplish this. Currently, I have:
  • Stocks with built-in adjustable combs (think McMillan A5, Luth-AR, etc)
  • Adjustable Kydex "saddle types" which bolt over the top of the factory comb (think M4A2)
  • Stocks with variable alignment plates for drop & cast (Benelli Comfortech)
  • Stocks with factory design incorporating interchangeable combs of different heights (Benelli Comfortech & Ruger American style)
  • Delrin fixed height risers which screw to the top of the comb (think Dragunov) - Added May 2020: Victor Company Universal Cheek Riser
  • Stock Pack and stock wrap types with inserts which wrap around the stock and offer means to elevate the comb (Hornady makes a nice stock pack)
  • Cheap allen elastic cartridge carriers with foam rubber riser inserts

bronko22000 05-24-2020 04:13 PM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4376218)
But over time them elastic shell holders loose there holding power, some in just a yr or two, some longer,

MRBB, Just FYI, I've had that one on my Guide Gun for about 20 years now. Still holds the cartridges firmly in place.
The problem I have with them is when I load up the Rifle with those 45-70 cartridges then fill up the elastic loops I darn near double the weight of the rifle! And I don't know why I carry them because I've never fired more than one shot with the guide gun at game (3 bear and 1 buck). But you just never know when you're going to have to track a wounded animal and may need the extras.

Oldtimr 05-24-2020 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4376214)
It's hard to see in the pics Oldtimr but those are low rings on both rifles. Its the nature of the beast that the bases are higher than they should be. The 1895SBL has a Picatinny rail on it so the rings just attached to that. The Guide Gun has a standard Weaver 1 piece mount base. I guess I could have gotten the scope a tad lower if I would have put on Talley mounts. But I just can't see paying their prices.

BTW if you look closely at the Guide Gun you'll notice it is ported. This is one of the early ones. My wife bought it for me after she saw me drooling over it at a gun show down in Florida back in 1999.

I have the 1895 Guide Gun with the ported barrel, and have taken many deer and wild hogs with it. I put my Mod 88 Winchester in .308 back in the gun safe for many years because I liked the 45-70 guide gun so much and only took it out of retirement last year to take my deer. The rings and mount and scope were on the 1895 when I bought is and I have had no problems with the scope being too high.

mrbb 05-24-2020 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by bronko22000 (Post 4376232)
MRBB, Just FYI, I've had that one on my Guide Gun for about 20 years now. Still holds the cartridges firmly in place.
The problem I have with them is when I load up the Rifle with those 45-70 cartridges then fill up the elastic loops I darn near double the weight of the rifle! And I don't know why I carry them because I've never fired more than one shot with the guide gun at game (3 bear and 1 buck). But you just never know when you're going to have to track a wounded animal and may need the extras.

must be lucky on tings, as I have about 20 guns(rifle/shotgun/muzzleloader) set up with them shell holders and lucky if I get 5-7 yrs out of them before there loose and need replacing
But like everything in life, Gather name brand and well, how and where stored maybe matters too

as for what to use, I would also think one could use, rubber(not the cheap foam stuff) Pipe insulation too, be already with a curve(rounded) and it also does;t hold water, being a of closed cell make up
any closed cell foam, will NOT hold water,
if anyone works with heating and cooling HVAC, they sell rubber in sheets too that can be used here, it can be had in several thickness's too!

so that would be what one wants to use for things like this, closed cell foam or rubber!