Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope mounting question >

Scope mounting question

Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope mounting question

Old 02-15-2020, 11:57 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scope mounting question

I want to get my scope as low as possible to the bore axis on my new Savage Axis. I am going to be using Weaver bases and probably Weaver Quad Lok rings. My scope of choice for this rifle is a KonusPro M-30 1.5-6x44mm. My question is, for you Axis owners or scope mounting experts, can I get by with medium height rings or will I need high. Weaver recommends high rings on their scope chart (saddle height .332"). I can go with Burris medium Weaver style rings with a saddle height of .270".

I'd really hate to buy high rings only to find out that I could have gotten by with mediums.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:03 PM
Nontypical Buck

buy base and measure with scope resting on things, to see how high you need to objective to clear barrel!
other than this, you will I think, need to buy rings and see, MOST shops will allow you to return if undamaged

OR order both online some place , send back what doesn't fit? many places have FREE returns these days too!
Old 02-15-2020, 01:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

I am neither an Axis owner and most certainly not a scope mounting expert, but I would try low rings before settling on mediums. I use low rings for most applications using similar size scopes.
Old 02-15-2020, 01:14 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Big Uncle
I am neither an Axis owner and most certainly not a scope mounting expert, but I would try low rings before settling on mediums. I use low rings for most applications using similar size scopes.
the problem might be however, that due to this is a compact scope like, its NOT as long and as such, the objective end will be over the thicker part of the barrel, making iot need to maybe sit higher in rings to clear!
where longer scopes sit farther out on the barrel where it tapers down some(unless on heavy barrels here then??)
Old 02-16-2020, 06:13 AM
Boone & Crockett

I know all that guys I was just hoping someone here ran into this and could suggest what height rings I needed. With my own guns and working at a sporting goods store for several years during their "busy" seasons * (like just before deer season etc) I mounted hundreds of scopes.
I always tried to get my scopes as low as possible so as to get a good cheek weld on the stock. In a couple cases, with the scope selected, I had to build up the butt stock to achieve that purpose.
Old 02-16-2020, 08:32 AM
Nontypical Buck

I hear you on a good cheek to stock weld
yrs back(late 90's) I bought one of them Swarvoski LRS rifle scope, and WOW did it need to sit high off the gun to fit
I ended up having a custom stock built to make it seem better

but it sure seems to be a trend these days that many don;t seem to care about this anymore
I se so many rifles BUILT these days with super high riding scopes and poor shooter form due to it

seems a lot of COOL factor is more important these days than good cheek to stock fit!

The odds of something having same rifle as you and same scope, are the tricky part here, as again all scopes and rings won't measure the same,, and be the same on different model rifles, have to be apple to apple ONLY here and not a wider range of things due to differences in sizes!

and then add in them using same mounts, as many use different mounts ,
its asking sort of a lot to have the same combo, and add in many don;t again seem to care about how low they sit as long as they get ON the gun?
SO??

its why I said, all you can do is just some how mount scope level and measure distance needed to gain clearance then order rings that allow for same space or as close to it as possible
put base on, rest scope on some cut outs of cardboard or like to hold scope in place and then measure?
time consuming sure, but can be done

or again, order both rings, and send back one's you don;'t need, or keep on hand, down the road maybe you will need them and well, save $$$ to boot, as odds are down the road things will cost more, and they don't really go bad if you keep em right LOL

I know I have packs of rings and bases on my shooting bench now due to things like this !
and it has saved me from having to run to a store if I ever DROP a darn screw and it goes into one of the black holes never to be seen again LOL
so some times having extra's on hand isn;t so bad a idea !!

Old 05-23-2020, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Not sure if the OP has mounted his scope yet, but you can always buy cheap low medium and high mount chinese scope rings for experimentation purposes. They are super cheap on ebay, and will be fine for helping you to decide what size you want before you spend money on quality rings.