Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope selection

Old 02-12-2020, 04:06 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default Scope selection

I just placed my order for a new rifle. I ordered a Savage Axis in 350 legend to be a companion rifle for my new AR-15 in same chambering. I have decided to go with something in the mid-range of power like a 2-7X. Three that I have my eye on are the Vortex Crossfire, the Hawke Vantage and the Burris Fullfield. I have scopes by Burris and Vortex but never owned a Hawke. I believe they are decent quality and I know the Vantage is one of their less expensive models. Just looking for opinions or even other options. This is basically going to be a beater rifle. First thing I'm going to do is install a new trigger spring to lighten the trigger to a more manageable/desirable weight.
Old 02-12-2020, 07:24 PM
Super Moderator

Man- they are ugly. But the ones I've played with are good shooters.

I'm going to be picking up and axis 2 compact sometime this spring. Boy turns 8 this fall and I think I'll take him out during the Ohio youth season. The compact has an 18" barrel and an inch shorter lop. I think he'll be able to get comfortable with it over this summer.

At first I wasn't going to get one. But as I thought about it- it's the perfect option for a youth starting out who hunts Ohio and PA.

I'll probably have some fun with it too.

No experience with the hawke scopes. The other two are good to go for sure though.

-Jake
Old 02-13-2020, 05:53 AM
Typical Buck

bronko congrat's on your purchase. have you thought about a leupold scope designed especially for the 350 ledgend . i have one on my 450 bushmaster designed for the 450bm. easy to set up & great to use set it up for 100yrds & then just dial in what yardage you want to shoot at up to 300 yrds. they sell for around here for aprox. 260 & tax .
Old 02-13-2020, 06:31 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
Man- they are ugly. But the ones I've played with are good shooters.

I'm going to be picking up and axis 2 compact sometime this spring. Boy turns 8 this fall and I think I'll take him out during the Ohio youth season. The compact has an 18" barrel and an inch shorter lop. I think he'll be able to get comfortable with it over this summer.

At first I wasn't going to get one. But as I thought about it- it's the perfect option for a youth starting out who hunts Ohio and PA.

I'll probably have some fun with it too.

No experience with the hawke scopes. The other two are good to go for sure though.

-Jake
Jake you may want to reconsider your choice on the Axis. I had a Savage with the Accutrigger and I didn't like it. In the heat of the moment it cost me a deer when I forgot about all the "take up" before you actually squeeze the trigger. My fault of course but I was so used to a standard trigger. That's why I went with the standard Axis instead of the Axis II. An I can buy a different trigger spring to give me about a 3 lb trigger. I watched a video on it and its only a 5 min job.
Old 02-13-2020, 06:34 AM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by t.shaffer
bronko congrat's on your purchase. have you thought about a leupold scope designed especially for the 350 ledgend . i have one on my 450 bushmaster designed for the 450bm. easy to set up & great to use set it up for 100yrds & then just dial in what yardage you want to shoot at up to 300 yrds. they sell for around here for aprox. 260 & tax .
Yea Tom I did think of one of those. I'm still in FL and won't get the rifle until May when I get back to PA. It will be waiting at my FFL. I have plenty of time to decide. Thanks.
Old 02-13-2020, 04:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

It didn't take much deliberation on finding a scope. I found the perfect match for that rifle. I just ordered a Konus Pro M-30 1.5-6x44 from Amazon. Everyone else wanted from $234 and up but Amazon had them for only $139. I have a Konus Pro M-30 3-9x on one of my other rifles and I really like it. And 6X will be more than enough magnification for 99.9% of the hunting I do. Plus this has the illuminated center dot for low light in either blue or red.
Old 02-13-2020, 05:07 PM
Super Moderator

I've got a konus on my muzzleloader and it seems to be decent! Should work good for you.

-Jake
Old 02-13-2020, 05:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

I have a few of the Leopold compact ultra lights(3 of em) and 2 Burris's
in like range of magnification,(2x7 and 2x8, or maybe its a 2.5 x8 ,I forget to be honest as was a slight difference between the two )
added them to some custom ultra light rifles I had built years ago
all the leupolds stayed nice and clear and two of my Burris's got sort of a yellow tint to things after about 20 yrs of age or so, still held zero just fine, but lost there clear view on things! rather disappointing, contcated Burris, and they offered to swap me for other model scopes, so that was nice of them!

they were both of the Possi loc models and both were a little on the heavy side for being marketed as Light weights, but were added to some higher recoil calibers, so when with hem
I since swapped both of rifles and went to full sized scopes(Leupold VXIII 4.5x14x40's)
added a tad of weight to rifles, but eye's are older now and like the added power range!

SO< I know Leupold's ain;t on your list, but I would also consider them if I was you?

been making the same like model for decades, so a proven model IMO!
have NO experience on the other two brands or very little to say either way on em!
Old 02-14-2020, 04:55 AM
Boone & Crockett

I have a couple Leupold scopes including a Ultimate Slam on my muzzleloader and they are nice. I also have a few Burris Fullfield scopes with the BDC. I picked up a Konus last year for one of my rifles (I can't remember which one) and I was impressed. So when I saw this one in the range I was looking for and about 1/2 price I jumped on it.
Old 02-15-2020, 03:16 AM
Typical Buck

can't blame ya for the purchase . i've seen a few konus scopes & they were in the 200's price range. i believe cva muzzleloaders come with konus scopes.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.