Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Caldwell Led Sled

Old 11-20-2019, 10:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

I built a firing fixture many moons ago during an ammunition development contract which allowed firearms to be remote fired for safety. The foundation was a Lead Sled.

I also built a similar fixture some years ago for firing compound bows remotely without shooter influence.

Would anyone suggest I could sight in my compound bow by firing it in the bow fixture, then ethically take it afield to hunt deer?

So why then are folks so obtuse to accept, even recommend, a hunter use a Lead Sled to zero their rifle and take it afield, equally under practiced, and insufficiently prepared?
Old 11-20-2019, 12:27 PM
Fork Horn

There are, last time I looked, several variants of the Lead Sled, even from Caldwell. If I wanted one, I wouldn't even know which one to buy. My house is rapidly approaching "peak crap", where further additions need to be justified (guns excluded). My hesitation is that it won't get enough use to justify cost or space-in-home.
Old 11-21-2019, 01:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

I want my rifle on my shoulder when it goes bang, that is where it will be when I am shooting at game, I have no confidence that the bullet will react the same way to recoil on a lead sled as when it is on my shoulder.
Old 11-22-2019, 08:15 AM
Super Moderator

I've never used a lead sled but have used a sand bag. This is an interesting topic.
Old 11-22-2019, 09:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

A shooter at our range (You can tell I'm there by the signature sound of my muzzle report, when I shoot semi auto rapid fire) --- Associated Gun Clubs of Baltimore --- uses a pair of 25 pound hand barbells too weight down his lead sled on the gun bench.

http://www.associatedgunclubs.org

Last edited by Erno86; 11-22-2019 at 09:28 AM. Reason: added a few words
Old 11-22-2019, 06:36 PM
JW
Super Moderator

I use a Lead Sled to get me to zero.
From there I go to a sand bags to really finish with 3 shot groups.
i found that when initial sighting in it saves me time and ammo.
i take my shot with the use of the sled. i then zero my crosshsirs on my target hit point or point of impact. Then rezero the scope to the Bull center as i look thru the scope adjusting for windage and elevation.
Works for me.

JW
Old 11-25-2019, 03:54 PM
Typical Buck

Yep. I use it for zero only or making sure it's good from season to season. I do not use any weights when I use the device.
Old 11-26-2019, 10:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've never used one and hadn't heard about it cracking stocks. That right there is enough for me to just say no, don't need it.
Old 11-27-2019, 09:14 AM
Fork Horn

I bought a lead sled to help develop my reloads. My thought was that it would take me out as a factor in testing my reloads. Turns out I shoot just as well without it as with it. So based on my experience, its useful to reduce shoulder fatigue from recoil but it will not make you a more accurate shooter IMO. It also broke my butt plate on my rifle when the padding in back deteriorated without me noticing.

Would I buy one again? No.
Old 01-16-2020, 12:42 PM
Typical Buck

I had an old timer tell me once that obviously the gun reacts differently when held down by a sled or other device then it does in your shoulder. Yes you could get a gun clamped down where it will not move and zero it in but whe pen you hold it, it kicks, the barrel moves, it's not going to be the same. Trick is to keep your hold etc. the same so the recoil has the same effect each time. That might not be right but it makes sense to me. I've always used sand bag or something to help with steady but want the gun to be in my shoulder and free to move however it's going to move once I pull the trigger.