Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Caldwell Led Sled

Old 11-16-2019, 03:09 PM
Typical Buck

to each his own. ive used sand bags for 50 years and never had a problem. ive seen guys use them sighting rifles at the range and still seen them flinch because of the noise. as someone else said there was one who didnt sit at the bench and still couldnt sight the gun in. ive sighted in rifles from 243 all the way to 300 mag off sandbags. it also lets you get used to the recoil.
Old 11-16-2019, 04:28 PM
Typical Buck

Fair points to all. My main point is just the zero aspect. I only use it to zero new items. I also use it before season just to ensure zero is still viable.

You should always practice with your setup so you are confident and comfortable.

Yes, everybody is different when it comes to zeroing.

I just think this product is made for this reason and not for constant shooting. That's what bags or pods are for.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:06 PM
Typical Buck

I'll just throw in that my dad made several new stocks to replace stocks that were damaged from the use of a lead sled. Not his own of course but friends and friends of friends that had no clue of simple physics. Stocks are designed with the shoulder absorbing the recoil. Scopes are as well. How the company making lead sleds hasn't been sued out of existence is remarkable to me since anyone with even a slight working knowledge of the physics of recoil and impact resistance would know that these lead slad products will eventually cause damage to a firearm or scope.
Old 11-17-2019, 05:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I guess I would use a lead sled if I was an injured, an invalid, or was simply afraid of my rifle or shotgun's recoil. Otherwise I think it is a crutch and would have enough drawbacks to prevent me from using one. I believe that it changes the natural movement and vibration that are created when shoulder fired so that it would be quite possible to obtain false results.

It just might have a good use for velocity testing of ammunition. It would probably be the only way that a small person like my wife could fire some of my heavy recoiling rifles, if she ever had that desire.

To each their own. My choice (under normal conditions) is to say "No" to lead sleds.
Old 11-17-2019, 06:31 AM
Fork Horn

I have both the sled and bags. I dont use the sled anymore. I feel as I have improved as a shooter there isnt a reason for it. When I first started shooting I had a jerky finger and I flinched A LOT! I think the sled helped me with those issues to an extent.

Now I breath better, squeeze the trigger and the majority of the time I dont even blink. I feel in total control.

IMO The sled was just a crutch. Once I matured as a shooter there was just no need for it.

But if youre someone who feels it helps you sight in then by all means do what you feel works best for you.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by JGFLHunter
These people blow through 20 rounds like nothing,
There is no down-side to shooting your rifle. A lot of hunters don't shoot enough. Shooting well is an ephemeral skill. The only way to maintain it is to practice. They probably won't have a lead sled with them while they're hunting.
Old 11-19-2019, 03:56 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Wingbone
There is no down-side to shooting your rifle. A lot of hunters don't shoot enough. Shooting well is an ephemeral skill. The only way to maintain it is to practice. They probably won't have a lead sled with them while they're hunting.
Most likely not, but there are pretty high quality gun rests that hunters do use.
Old 11-20-2019, 05:31 AM
Nontypical Buck

Gun rests aren’t shooting fixtures. The Lead Sled is a shooting fixture, not a rest.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:22 AM
Fork Horn

I don't own a lead sled but have considered it. How do they damage the guns?

I sight using sandbags, but when it isn't going well, I sometimes wonder whether the walking hole pattern is me or the rifle/ammo set up. A lead sled would help eliminate this guesswork.
Old 11-20-2019, 10:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Cub Slayer
I don't own a lead sled but have considered it. How do they damage the guns?
If loaded with too much weight, the Lead Sled won’t move with the rifle enough, so the stock takes more force than it should, breaking the stock, or at best, battering the bedding. If loaded with too little weight, the sled lets the rifle move too much, accelerating too quickly, imparting too much force upon the scope and/or base screws.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.