Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Caldwell Led Sled

Old 11-15-2019, 08:43 AM
Typical Buck

Default Caldwell Led Sled

If you want to zero in a new rifle or scope, just spend the $100. I can't seem to understand why anybody would not want this product. I use it all the time at the range and recommended it to just about everybody while I'm there.
I see people trying to zero in their rifle or scope, with sandbags, pieces of wood for rests, etc. These people blow through 20 rounds like nothing, get mad because they don't understand why shot after shot goes no where near the last. Barrels get smoking hot because you're rushing and cruising through ammo. Obviously there are many factors buuuut you get what I'm preaching.
All I'm trying to say is the Led Sled will eliminate these errors. I've used it with a 300 Weatherby and didn't feel a thing in regards to recoil. I can zero in a new scope in 5 shots or less with this product. Just spend the money or you can keep buying your ammo and be frustrated.
I am not a sponsor or anything like that. I am completely sold on this product. I usually get 2-3 people too think about buying it while at the range. It's a perfect gift for any shooter.
Hopefully this will persuade a few people but hopefully more chime in and agree with me.
Old 11-15-2019, 09:38 AM
Super Moderator

-Jake
Old 11-15-2019, 07:48 PM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala

-Jake
Yup... but can’t say it’s not absolutely deserving of everything which is thrown at it.
Old 11-15-2019, 07:57 PM
Nontypical Buck

I’ll cast my vote here to kick off the counterpoint side of this discussion:

Caldwell Lead Sleds are an absolute waste of money which do nothing to develop marksmanship.

Caldwell Lead Sleds are an absurd crutch which falsely make firearms owners believe they can cheat their way into marksmanship.

Caldwell Lead Sleds are commonly misused by unwitting firearms owners to damage their firearms and optics, by use of too much or too little weight, respectively.

If a firearms owner takes 20 shots to zero their rifle, a Lead Sled won’t help them, and it will be exceptionally unfortunate if they DO establish a (false) zero on a Lead Sled, giving them underserved confidence to take their firearm afield. Personally, I zero in 5 rounds, one at 50, one at 100, then a 3 shot group to confirm, using nothing but a bipod and a rear squeeze bag. I’ve been to a dozen or so Rifle Marksmanship courses in the last 20 years, and have taught dozens of students myself in my own NRA Basics of Rifle Shooting, Long Range Rifle, and Precision AR courses in that time as well - I have NEVER heard a single professional instructor, EVER, offer a positive endorsement of items like the Lead Sled.
Old 11-16-2019, 05:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

I'll still stick with my pedestal rest...thank-you.

The last two scope eye injury mishaps I witnessed on our outdoor range occurred from a lead sled. One of them was a pretty girl who did not sit down on the seat for the rifle bench...but instead, she crouched over the lead sled on the gun bench when she cracked off a shot.

Last edited by Erno86; 11-16-2019 at 05:39 AM. Reason: typo
Old 11-16-2019, 07:30 AM
Fork Horn

I guess the jury is out on whether newer and well built rifles and scopes suffer because of Lead Sleds. Definitely something to follow and pay attention to. However, I'm not overly concerned at this point and will continue to use one as I have for the last 7 seasons, Remington CDL 30-06, synthetic stock, and Leopold VX 2 3-9x40mm scope.

For me, I think Lead Sleds are great for the initial zero and then checking zero prior to season. Saves time, money, and aggravation. That's all I use it for. Then I practice as if I'm in my tree stand or blind, simulating as best I can the same clothing, shooting position, etc..
Old 11-16-2019, 09:46 AM
Super Moderator

I'm not as against them as no mercy. Because not everybody needs to "do it right"

​​​ There are lots of people out there who are hunters, not shooters. And lots of people fill their freezer every year doing things that aren't correct when it comes to shooting. And that's their goal: fill the freezer.

There is historically plenty of reports of broken stocks and scopes that are attributed to sleds. And that's something to consider. Also, it's really not hard to develop good shooting form and to shoot acceptably well with a couple of bags.

But they sell allot, and allot of people use them.

-Jake
Old 11-16-2019, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

The main plus for lead sleds...is that it helps a shooter to keep him from developing a flinch when he sights-in a big bore rifle --- But frankly --- I still would not trust using it with my "safe queen" custom --- western style wood stocked Belgium FN Mauser, in 338 Winchester Magnum (my biggest bore rifle that I own).

Last edited by Erno86; 11-16-2019 at 11:01 AM. Reason: added a sentence
Old 11-16-2019, 11:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
But they sell allot, and allot of people use them.
A lot of people use heroin too.
Old 11-16-2019, 12:07 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Nomercy448

A lot of people use heroin too.
Yes, but that's because it's a "good" product and accomplishes a goal. It wouldn't sell otherwise.

It's not "right" just like the sled isn't correct.

But it wouldn't sell if it wasn't accomplishing something for people.

-Jake

Last edited by Bocajnala; 11-16-2019 at 12:14 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.