Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Boone & Crockett rules >

Boone & Crockett rules

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Boone & Crockett rules

Old 09-13-2019, 08:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Boone & Crockett rules

The use of certain rifle scopes with electronic range finding capabilities disqualifies entry into the Boone & Crockett records. I would not be surprised to see states begin to ban their use.

III. Use of electronic communication devices (2-way radios, cell phones, etc.) to guide hunters to game, artifi cial lighting, electronic light intensifying

devices (night vision optics), sights with built-in electronic range-fi nding capabilities (including smart scopes), drones/unmanned aerial vehicles

(UAVs), thermal imaging equipment, electronic game calls or cameras/timers/motion tracking devices that transmit images and other information

to the hunter;

Last edited by Big Uncle; 09-13-2019 at 10:19 AM.
Old 09-13-2019, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

Many states already “ban” night vision or thermal imaging optics from use while hunting. Kansas, as an example, prohibits use of any optic which emits light towards game, and use of those which intensify light. They’ve gone on record to say they consider thermal imaging, reading infrared “light,” to be in this class, and equally prohibited.

It’s a dumb law, to be honest. Again in Kansas, for example, we are allowed to hunt coyotes all night long, but not with the use of artificial light. So occasionally someone shoots a dog, or a goat, or a calf... all the while, having a rifle in your truck, and a spotlight, constructively constitutes poaching in our state. Naturally, thousands of ranchers across the state have both a high powered rifle AND a high powered spotlight in their truck, both for lawful purposes. I have the ability, however, to use a night vision monocular to locate and identify coyotes, then shoot with an illuminated reticle optic (non-night vision capable).

There’s no functional difference whether I use a Burris Eliminator or a Burris XTR + a Sig Kilo rangefinder. There’s almost no difference in using a night vision monocular to locate and identify coyotes, then take a shot with a non NV optic. I killed hundreds of coyotes in the dark with “dumb scopes” before night vision was available, and still can. I’m just less apt to kill my neighbor’s dog or a stray calf if I have access to night vision.

But to the true topic - Boone & Crockett have a lot of stupid restrictions. Bow let off requirements, no pin lights, draw weight maximums, etc. All stuff that’s just stupid to pretend they have a valid claim to a certain record, and a means to disqualify someone who doesn’t kowtow to their rules.
Old 09-14-2019, 05:10 AM
Nontypical Buck

My take on this is that they just had to draw a line in the sand somewhere, anywhere, to try to keep the technology advances from ruining the sport. I think that more importantly much of this is to help with the general non-hunting public's perception. If hunters are perceived to have an unfair advantage it plays into the hands of the anti-hunters. The rules make sense to me for B&C's purposes.

It does seem shortsighted that the Kansas restrictions apply to non-game species such as coyotes. I think we all will have to live with increasing restrictions whether they make any sense or not, and it will get worse quickly if folks push the envelope with what they can do instead of what they should do.
Old 09-18-2019, 05:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

The excuse in Kansas, as it has been for at least the 20yrs I've been lobbying (not so aggressively) to change it, is there's a greater risk of illegal spotlighting or otherwise poaching of deer, to wit, they've eliminated the excuse. "I'm just hunting coyotes, not deer." when someone might be caught with equipment which is illegal for deer, but legal for coyotes.

It's legal for me to construct a remote fired, turret mounted rifle which has target recognition software which indicates the rifle is aimed for the appropriate shooting solution, then push a button which electronically fires the rifle... But God forbid I shoot a coyote at night with a spotlight.

I remain to fail to understand why pin-lights are prohibited by Boone & Crockett, and why 80% let off is legal, but 85% let off is not... Rules for the prevention of unethical or unsporting activities, debatably as they might be defined, I can generally support. Rules for the sake of rules, especially within a "club," not an enforcement agency, make little sense to me.
Old 09-18-2019, 06:11 PM
Nontypical Buck

maybe a different view?

I personally see NO harm in a rifle scope that can be used as a range finder so to just a person carrying and using a range finder
its rather splitting hairs IMO
the current scopes that are made than can do both, are rather odd shaped and size, and BIG heavy, and have a lot of flaws
so, its NOT like there taking over any time soon
and they have been about since the 90's( swarovski was one of the first for civilian sales)
held a patent on it for a LONG time and then Burris came out with a like model for a lot less $$ but not as good of glass or rangefinder!
a few others have come out, but its far from taking over or making any kills happen that wouldn;t IMO<
range finders IMO< help prevent many wounded animals, more than they add to the TECH crazed aid of killing more animals!
Many SO called B&C and Pope and Young rules, were made LONG before many thing MOST hunters use today to hunt with, due to they just were NOT even THOUGHT of never mind made yet!

IMO< if any tool scope, range finder or?? is a LEGAL item to use in hunting "X" game animal, its rather questionable, if they couldnl;t be in the record books
as NO legal rule was broken

there are many rules in these clubs that many don;t know,
certain amounts of bow let off, and other devises too fall into this category and are rather NON invasive in the ways of ruining modern hunting ways!

lets face it, hunting today is NOT Like ti was 20-30-40 and so on yrs ago!
I doubt many thought shooting game at 1,000+ yards was even possible when this club started?
or folks shooting bows at a 100 yards
using scent control devices, heck I doubt even modern CAMO was even being used when they made these rules?

rules have to adapt at some point
as long as legal tools, maybe they should allow?
as were loosing hunters numbers pretty fast in the USA!
and with so many needing FAME today, and the un godly need for HIGH tech gadgets
limit them and might loose even more hunters!,m leading to the end of a sport so many of us LOVE
Old 09-19-2019, 04:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

There seems to be some confusion between Boone & Crockett rules, Pope & Young rules, long range plinking at game animals, and potential future state laws regarding smart scopes.

Perhaps some of us do not like the rules, but they exist. The B&C rules make sense to me.

My opinions are that states may start restricting some technologies currently (or in the future) used in the pursuit of game animals and that the future of hunting rests in the hands of the voting public, many of whom are non-hunters.
Old 09-19-2019, 08:08 AM
Nontypical Buck

@Big Uncle - help me understand the B&C rules, because they don’t make sense to me.

By this “no rangefinding optic” rule, I could have a Silencerco Radius on my forend and a Nightforce ATACR on top of my rifle, but I couldn’t have a Burris Eliminator. I can have a SigSauer Kilo on an arca mount bolted to my scope. In either case, I can see the output with my off-glass eye while I’m behind the scope, and it’s all mounted on the rifle...

Where’s the sense in that differential?
Old 09-19-2019, 08:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

I do not make the rules, nor did anybody seek my advice on the subject, but I do think there has to be a limit somewhere. Common sense seems to be in short supply and without some rules or regulations we just might be dooming the sport. My guess is that those B&C rule making folks thought about the scopes that range game and place a nice aiming dot where the shooter thinks they are (possibly) going to hit and thought this was unsporting at best.

I think everyone wants the ethical taking of game and realizes that common range finders are a good thing. Smart scopes seem just a bit too much for some folks.

Every state will make it's own laws and regulations largely based upon what the voting public wants. I think we need to be very careful not to irritate the voting public or to make them think hunters have an unfair advantage through technology. Currently I think we are in decent shape with most of the public but that can change quickly.

I just made the original post in this thread to let trophy-hunting fellows know that there are currently rules in place. I am not a big trophy guy myself. I do have a pretty mule deer rack that qualifies for inclusion in the B&C book but I will never bother to do that.
Old 09-19-2019, 09:40 AM
Super Moderator

I'll never shoot anything big enough to have to worry about it!

-Jake
Old 09-25-2019, 07:44 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by Bocajnala
I'll never shoot anything big enough to have to worry about it!

-Jake
And even if I was lucky enough to I wouldn't eve bother with P&W or B&C. I'm only out there to please myself. Hunt if I want to or just go for a walk and take a nap in the woods.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.