HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Boone & Crockett rules (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/421752-boone-crockett-rules.html)

mrbb 09-26-2019 09:21 AM

I personally think its a game of splitting hairs here
I honestly think, its better for folks to KNOW the true range of a target/animal before making a shot than JUST guessing, since so many are very BAD at guessing distance,
so, where is the real issue's with giving folks a honest distance?
maybe some will PASS on a shot they think is farther than there comfortable, or just winging one thinking its closer!
as for a range finder telling you where to aim, , again where is the difference in things if you use a hand held range finder and use your COMMON sense that you should KNOW your rifles calibers dope! and aiming accordingly, or making adjustment on scope and then firing!
ethical hunters will always be ethical before making shots and taking chances
its far more likely IMO< for a guy all excited NO tool to know distance to use"Kentucky wind-age" to TRY a shot at something,AND, all the more so
its of trophy sized animal, temptation has sent a lot of rounds into the abyss over the yrs from thousands of hunters I have talked to in my gun shop!
SO I am NOT guessing here on this side of things!
again ethical hunters follow the LEGAL rules to hunt, if there RULES allow an item, I think its sort of wrong for the B&C and like clubs to NOT allow a LEGALLY killed animal into there books!
I personally have NO desire to veer enter anything in any of these clubs.
I hunt for ME< NO one else, I don't need a stroke of my ego for shooting something! nor a way to get famous, hunting is a personal ting for me and always will be, if I ever start to ONLY hunt for clubs like B&C I think that will be a sad day , and IMO what will end up leading to the end of hunting, when hunters only hunt for things they can get awards for!

as hunting shouldn;t be about ranks, scores,, prizes or fame!! IMO!

Bocajnala 09-26-2019 09:27 AM

Originally Posted by mrbb (Post 4361608)
ethical hunters will always be ethical before making shots and taking chances
its far more likely IMO< for a guy all excited NO tool

​​​​​​That's it right there. I've said it here before on other subjects.

A tool doesn't make an ethical person un-ethical. And it won't turn an un-ethical person into someone with ethics.

Our character is who we are, and that will show through regardless of what laws allow or don't allow.

-Jake

Nomercy448 09-26-2019 12:24 PM

Originally Posted by Bocajnala (Post 4361427)
I'll never shoot anything big enough to have to worry about it!

:barmy:

-Jake

Harvesting something big enough to get on the books doesn’t seem to be terribly uncommon. A 125 typical is recordable as a P&Y buck, and 160” is recordable as a B&C. Lots of people are happy just to be in the books, even if they don’t have a state or national record or top 10 buck.

kevin777 09-29-2019 06:57 AM

I do not think this is the right decision. I mean the ban on smart sights.

CalHunter 09-29-2019 12:06 PM

This is a pretty good discussion. I don't have anything in a record book and have never thought about doing so. As a private organization that is not public funded, I think the B&C has a right to make their own rules. I think a rangefinding scope is the same as range finding binoculars and both should be allowed (JMHO here). I can see their point about a smart scope that tells you where to aim. But that's for the B&C to determine for it's club and I'm not a member anyway.

State game laws that apply to all of us, however, are a different matter. Allowing night hunting but no night scopes or night lighting, etc. Is pretty dumb. Claiming thats so game wardens can't be fooled about somebody poaching who claims to be coyote hunting is even dumber. If a game warden cant figure that out, they should go into a different line of work or only work dayshifts. I would draw the line at drones though. At some point, hunters should hunt.