Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Scope, or Red Dot on my pistol? >

Scope, or Red Dot on my pistol?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Scope, or Red Dot on my pistol?

Old 03-26-2019, 08:32 PM
Boone & Crockett

Originally Posted by TN Lone Wolf
The only downside is that the eye relief changes quite a bit when zooming in from 2.5x to 8x. At 2.5x, it's about arm length on me, but at 8x it's much closer. That doesn't bother me, since if I'm using it at 8x power, I've got the handgun resting on something solid and can lean in closer to it.
I never noticed the eye relief difference with my Burris. But that was a few years ago and maybe my feeble old mind doesn't remember.
Old 10-05-2019, 09:45 AM
Spike

Trijicon MRO Patrol will do good.
Old 11-14-2020, 02:29 PM
Spike

The problem with some red dots is the dot is bigger than the target, and if you want a smaller dot you run the risk of the red dot getting washed out in bright sunlight, the dot is just to small. If you're like me with a astigmatism in my right eye, it affects the way light refracts in my eyeball, so I don't see a crisp dot, I see like a draggon with a big tail. I can't use a red dot.
Old 11-14-2020, 04:08 PM
Nontypical Buck

1x4 or 2x8 leupold, I have a 2x leupold on my 375 JDJ, works well to 200, however a lil more power would be advantageous for zeroing, a straight 4x is too much for woods hunting.
RR
Old 11-20-2020, 01:18 PM
Boone & Crockett

I'd like to amend my answer above. You can have the best of both worlds. Millet makes a "red dot" scope that has several illuminated reticles. It has the dot, crosshair, circle, circle + dot and one more I can't recall. I had one on my S&W 29 for a while and took it off and put it on my youth model 20 gauge 870 that I use for turkey.
Old 02-05-2023, 11:36 PM
Spike

It really depends on the intended use of the pistol. If you're looking for accuracy and precision for long-range shooting, a scope may be a better option. However, if you need quick target acquisition for self-defense or close-quarters combat, a red dot sight is the way to go. Both options have their pros and cons, so it's best to consider what you'll be using the pistol for and choose the appropriate sight.