Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Firearms Forum > Scopes and Sights
Versatile Shotgun, Which Optic? >

Versatile Shotgun, Which Optic?

Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

Versatile Shotgun, Which Optic?

Old 10-08-2018, 07:40 PM
Spike

Default Versatile Shotgun, Which Optic?

Sup guy,

I plan on hunting in my province Québec in a year or two and plan on getting a mossberg 500 for shooting Whiteta- oh, excuse me, Canadian Whitetails.
Since I will be using sabot slugs and rifled barrel (max 200 yrds) I figured out that I should get an optic. So, since you have way more experience than me, what would you choose in my stead? Red dot? Ghost ring? Prism scope? an actual scope? (guess my little .22 scope won't do hehe).
Old 10-10-2018, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

I suggest buying a Remington 870 instead of a Mossberg. I would top it with the best rifle scope you can afford. I prefer the magnification and objective size of a rifle scope.
Old 10-10-2018, 01:18 PM
Spike

The Mossberg has a tang safety, and I'm left handed
Old 10-10-2018, 01:25 PM
Spike

Also, I already know how to fully disassemble a Mossberg, but anyway to each his own, I guess.
Oh and thanks for the reply, I will search for rifle scopes in my local gun shop.
Old 10-11-2018, 09:07 AM
Typical Buck

If youre actually going to be shooting out to 200 yards Im not sure how you can go with anything but a scope. I dont think id trust myself to shoot at that distance on a deer with a reddot but thats just me, maybe with enough practice id feel comfortable.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:55 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sacha
The Mossberg has a tang safety, and I'm left handed
I prefer mosberg for this reason.

If I was shooting 200 yards, I would definitely get a scope. I am for every advantage I can get. I would just go buy a 2x7, or 3x9, in the price range you like. Myself I like Leupold, since not made in China. They got scopes over every price range. I am not sure country of origin on all. I use VX2 and 3.

I know slugs have come a long way. Is 200 yards pushing it? Why not just get a rifle? Or is it is money issue, and you are getting combo barrel for small game? That was what I used for my first deer. Though it was about 15 yards.
Old 10-11-2018, 03:58 PM
Typical Buck

Originally Posted by Sacha
Sup guy,
shooting Whiteta- oh, excuse me, Canadian Whitetails.
).
What point are you trying to make? You are not paying duty on it?
Old 10-12-2018, 07:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

What is your budget? Slugs at 200yrds will have a lot of drop to manage, and you’ll need to be sure you are placing your point of aim exactly. This is NOT a job for a red dot or ghost ring sights. It can be done, but it is far more responsible to equip yourself for greater reliability of and forgiveness of performance - get a scope.

At 200yrds, I want a bit of magnification, and I certainly would want a graduated milling or MOA’ing reticle to let me hold over as necessary. First Focal Plane optics simplify things a great deal, but a second focal is manageable if you pay attention to what you’re doing.

The Vortex Razor Gen II 1-6x is on sale at Europtic right now for under $1,000. The Sig Tango4 1-4x might be a reasonable option, although a little low on magnification, for about $600. For a bit more, the Tango4 4-16x would be my go to option. Bushnell Engage optics are very affordable with second focal, MOA’ing reticles. The new Bushnell Forge scopes are also very good, with First Focal options.

Now enter a bunch of guys with flame throwers talking about hitting pie pans at 200yrds their slug gun and claiming 4-16x is way too high powered for a slug gun, or claiming $600-1000 is too much to spend on an optic for a slug gun... don’t care... I know how much magnification I want so I KNOW where I’m placing my POA at 200yrds, and I know how advantageous first focal milling reticles are for managing drop on punkin’ chunkers like slug guns... The right gear makes a relatively challenging task into an easy one.
Old 10-15-2018, 03:10 PM
Spike

thanks for the reply Nomercy448.
my budget is quite limited, as my only source of financing my hunting project will be part-time jobs, and that's why I want a combo barrel shotgun, so I can hunt many types of game with only one gun.

$1,000?? Boy that's way too much for me, I was hoping max 300$ for my optic :/
Could a prism scope of about 3x or 5x be enough?
Old 10-15-2018, 03:12 PM
Spike

By the way sorry for the late reply, I was away on a trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.