Community
Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

My lucky day

Old 03-26-2018, 01:26 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default My lucky day

Today I moved a VX-6 from a Winchester 375 Safari Express with medium Leupold PRW rings to a Remington 700 with an older Brown Precision stock. I put new bases and low Warne rings on the 700, without looking through it I tightened the scope just enough so it would not fall off, and headed off to find the right distance placement and level the crosshairs.

Amazingly the scope was somehow spaced just right in the rings and the crosshairs were dead level. I just torqued the screws and double checked everything. Then I bore sighted and it too was perfect without any adjustment at all!

I could not even guess at how many scopes I have mounted and this was a first for me. Usually it takes me a while and a more than a moderate amount of effort to get everything right. Maybe I should buy a lottery ticket.

Last edited by Big Uncle; 03-27-2018 at 05:29 AM.
Old 03-26-2018, 01:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

generally mounting is a 6 hour ordeal, but I'm pretty anal.
RR
Old 03-27-2018, 10:06 AM
Giant Nontypical

I'd say it takes an hour to mount the base and rings and scope and lap the scope rings, maybe 1.5hrs.

but yes buy that lotto ticket! cut me in for $2M...
Old 04-02-2018, 03:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

well I clean the screw holes, degrease the action, rough it up a bit, clean again, add bedding compound to the base, let it setup, then attach the rings, center the reticle, cradle it in the rings and snug. I then set the rifle in front of a plumb line, and sight on the edge of the line and turn the scope till its as plumb as I can get it by eye. Then I turn the up adjustment stop to stop as I watch the reticle in relation to the line, if it wonders any back or forth on the line I loosen the screws, turn the scope a bit, turn it just a td and do it again, when it no longer waivers I tighten the ring screws, recenter the the reticle, turn it up the height of my scope above center of bore, if using a 20 MOA base, I turn it down 20 MOA, then pull the bolt and boresight, I mostly am on paper at 300 yards.
RR
Old 05-11-2018, 05:39 AM
Spike

Originally Posted by Ridge Runner
generally mounting is a 6 hour ordeal, but I'm pretty anal.
RR
Me too! Most ppl rush this, and wonder why they have to crank their fine tune all the way to the wall!