HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Scopes and Sights (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights-114/)
-   -   Weaver K4 4x38 or Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 for Browning BLR in .450 Marlin? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/scopes-sights/417177-weaver-k4-4x38-trijicon-accupoint-1-4x24-browning-blr-450-marlin.html)

MG1911 02-11-2018 01:09 AM

Weaver K4 4x38 or Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 for Browning BLR in .450 Marlin?

I'm getting a Browning BLR in .450 Marlin for rifle season this year. I'm getting some handloads made which will push a 300gr Hornady hollow point at 1800 FPS. Should do really well, although the range will really be limited to 100 yards, maybe 200 with careful and practiced shots. That round will drop 22 inches at 225 yards, so definitely not a long-distance shooter, but I have never shot a deer at farther than 75 yards, anyway.

Now I'm debating between two scopes. Part of me wants to get a Trijicon AccuPoint 1-4x24 with an amber triangle BAC reticle. But part of me wants to get a Weaver K4 4x38 fixed power. The price difference is enormous, about $600. I think I would appreciate the fast handling and wide FOV of the Trijicon at 1x for close ranges, but I also know that so many hunters love the Weaver K4 and get 'er done at distances from 15 yards to 300 yards with that scope. Plus it seems rock-solid with great glass. I wonder if the $600 extra for the Trijicon will be wasted on me for this set up.

For what it's worth, I mostly hunt private land near the Blue Ridge Mountains in VA, and almost never is there a shot farther than 100 yards. It's not thick brush, either, so I'm not really counting on a deer popping up at 10 yards. That's why I'm thinking the Weaver will be perfect for me and also a lot cheaper than the Trijicon. But this is a special gift to myself, so I can definitely afford the Trijicon.

Any thoughts?

Big Uncle 02-11-2018 05:28 AM

Take a close look at the Leupold 4X. $300 gets you a great scope for your needs with longer eye relief and a slightly larger field of view than the Weaver and the best warranty in the business.

Either of the other scopes you listed would work fine. The Weaver is inexpensive and traditional but the eye relief is a little short. The Trijicon is OK - if you like that reticle. The tip of the triangle is the aiming point but for me it sometimes is too easy to use the center of the triangle by mistake if I am in a hurry.

Optics are such a personal decision that only you will be able to decide what your eye likes.

bpd1982 02-11-2018 11:18 AM

I would look at one of these. I have several weaver classic extreme scopes.

https://www.natchezss.com/weaver-cla...cle-matte.html

wild bill g 02-13-2018 07:20 AM

The trijicon gives you an iluminated reicle with no batteries. Add to that lower power zoom for those close shots and much better glass. The only down ide is rhe 24mm objective in low light. I have a friend with a trijicon and he loves and wants to get another because of their quality and fiber optic reticle system.

MG1911 02-13-2018 09:53 AM

Originally Posted by wild bill g (Post 4328272)
The trijicon gives you an iluminated reicle with no batteries. Add to that lower power zoom for those close shots and much better glass. The only down ide is rhe 24mm objective in low light. I have a friend with a trijicon and he loves and wants to get another because of their quality and fiber optic reticle system.

Thanks for the feedback. Which reticle does your friend have? I think I'd like the amber BAC triangle, but a lot of AccuPoint owners who are hunters seem to like the German #4 crosshair better, although I don't know which dot color people like best.

wild bill g 03-03-2018 02:15 PM

I think he got the green triangle reticle in the 2.5x10-50mm scope. Like I said it is a real nice clear scope that really picks up light.

salukipv1 03-05-2018 12:33 PM

opposed to a leupold vx3 1-4x variation?

not that you're using it for dangerous game, but 1x can be nice to have in certain situations.

you can also find some variations like 2-10x etc.... so you get lower than 4x and higher than 4x, sounds like a win-win in my eyes.

you can find good prices online for leupold etc... vx3 and others if you look around.

MG1911 10-27-2018 04:40 AM

Just an update: in the end, decided on a Trijicon AccuPower 1-4x (green BDC reticle), will post a report once hunting season is done! Very excited to hunt with my new rig!