Scopes and Sights Discuss firearm scopes, sights and related accessories here.

scooe mounts

Old 10-05-2018, 05:39 PM
Spike

Default scooe mounts

hi
i had a new scope mounted on my mossberg slugster this past winter and am just now getting to the range to zero it. my question is, since i found out the gunsmith didnt use locktite on the mounting screws can i remove one screw at a time and put some blue locktite on them and then re-torque without messing up the bore sighting?
thanks for the help
Old 10-05-2018, 05:43 PM
Fork Horn

Yep no prob there. if your worried mark the scope and rings to make sure nothing moves.
Old 10-05-2018, 05:45 PM
Typical Buck

Lost its changes tq. Ned to decrease tq settings. Does the manufacture recommend it? I might not do it on the rings, over tighten tube.

I do all my own now, after back jobs at cables. Bought alignment pins, tq wrench for bits.

but if you want loctite why would it matter if you backed one out at a time?

Should you use green or silver if using on rings?
Old 10-05-2018, 06:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

Blue on rings is standard fair. Taking one out at a time won’t shift anything significantly.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 AM
Typical Buck

I think if you ask Leopold they will say no. Probably why guy who mounted didn't. Decrease tq value. Not saying people don't. Green might be better.

rings are easy to check. Though I don't tq them then like I should. I also realize most people don't tq, I have not, and are ok.

but loctite does increase tq so be careful.

what rings? I did my last with quick detach. I'll probably do them all that way going forward. Last time went with low profile too. Not huge difference.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:33 AM
Spike

scope is a leupold vx-1, with leupold medium height rings. i just looked at ring mounting instructions and it does not say to use locktite. im beginning to think that i am overthinking this and locktite isn’t necessary, just dont want the rings to loosen.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:54 AM
Typical Buck

I try to carry tq or Allen in my hunting gear. Should check more often than I do. I am more inclined to use on base cause can't tighten with scope on. I think I went with medium too. Lower than standard. Had to take rear iron site off. If I am at camp just going to walk back and swap guns.

I have used green on screws that are problems like my super Blackhawk and 1885 4570. But again should check before season.
Old 10-07-2018, 05:56 PM
Spike

Default What’s the best long range scope for the money?

Looking to set up a browning 300 win mag just looking to find the right set up.